Monday, June 26, 2023

"profound disturbance of energy production"

A quick follow-up note:
Ms Moon was wondering how many deaths Dow Chemicals caused--they manufactured Agent Orange as well as napalm.

I went looking. The answer is "x", where "x" = a lot.

I found this brief Stephen King–like report on 5 Dow factory workers' deaths from exposure to 2,4-D, an ingredient in herbicide:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4923a3.htm

Why am I sharing it? I guess because five individual deaths are imaginable.
Also,  if I were going to write a horror story, I would borrow from this report--even this sentence about how the chemical works is gruesome:

"Uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation at the mitochondrial level leads to profound disturbance of energy production and may have caused the rapid deaths described in this report."

3 comments:

  1. A horror story..and like in Vietnam, generation after generation suffers

    ReplyDelete
  2. MS MOON & GZ: Yes, it's so horrific!
    and unlike Stephen King, it's not fiction.

    ReplyDelete