Sunday, June 25, 2023

Over Hill

The Marz is in the air right now, this Sunday evening, on her way to Madrid (via Paris)—then train to Pamplona, bus to Roncesvalles, a blessing at the pilgrimage send-off Mass, and from there on, it’s by foot, all 500 miles to the sea. She bought a new pair of Crocs for it (but took hiking boots as well).

Thirty-two years old, she didn’t even bother to train for it. Neither did I at when I went at forty, but I did at fifty, and good thing. The Way is not mountain hiking, but it’s not flat.

I didn’t want to do the Camino a third time, but I’m a bit envious that she’s off on an adventure. It’s a kind of adventure in slow-motion. You walk. Every day, you walk. That’s it. Your entire life slows down to 3 miles an hour. I loved that. (Also, I didn't--it was boring and it hurt.)

I’ve decided to go for a walk every day while Marz is walking, even just a little one. To the Turtle Fountain (where I’m sitting now) and back is only a mile. Continuing on and walking the path around the lake adds another three. Easy and flat. I’m on my feet a lot and carrying stuff at work, but I rarely get in the rhythm of a good walk. 

If I’m feeling ambitious, I will walk up and down the hilly bowl in the park between my house and the lake. I lay down to take this panorama photo of the bowl, below. It looks ridiculously shallow, but that’s a good sledding hill behind me. For old-person me, it’s a workout. 

Buen Camino!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea- to walk where ever you are daily, as long as Marz is walking. Love that! How many miles a day will she walk? 32 is a perfect age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a local pilgrimage of sorts. I think she’ll average about 12 miles a day—some days are smoother than others. Thirty-two is physically ideal! Kinda hard in other ways, making a way in this world… but Meat Life is like that!

      Delete
  2. That hill is actually MUCH steeper than it looks in your photo. Walking it daily would make a great workout. I go do that...if the air quality ever improves enough to exert myself outside. Phewy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BINK: Yes, it is much steeper--when we can breathe, it'll be fun to tromp up and down it together sometimes!

    ReplyDelete