Wednesday, December 21, 2022

"Guided"



Ever since I re-priced a vintage Faribault Woolen Mill blanket at the store, up from my coworker's price of $8 to $20--and then went home, looked the blanket up, and saw I should have added another zero, ever since then I've kept my eyes on wool items going out on the floor at work, to make sure they're priced correctly. (A few months ago, we priced a Pendleton at the high but fair $150.)

It's funny--good quality things often stand out. They... I don't know, they attract the eye, they look... good. Pleasing. I can often catch them with a quick glance. Usually my coworkers catch expensive labels now we all know they're worth so much, but last week I pulled a vintage Pendleton shirt out of textile recycling, priced it $10 (it was worn at the neck), and hung it on display in my book section.
It sold in minutes.

Yesterday I spied an attractive blanket hanging on a rack to go out on the floor, and, sure enough--Faribault Mill. This is old mill in Faribault, Minnesota, that--along with Pendleton in Oregon--"are the only vertical mills in the US, which means their work starts with raw wool from the sheep and ends with the final woven product." (via)

The blanket was priced $10. Sigh.
I was going to point it out to the linens person, and then I thought--wait! I want this. Without looking it up online, I bought it at the store price.

I do not need any more blankets, and it's not my usual style---red, white, and blue? but it really attracted me.
I found an interview with the designer, a Minneapolis-based artist, Dyani Red Hawk (Sičáŋǧu Lakota). The interview is recent--from January 2021.
She titled the blanket "Guided", though the name is not on the blanket itself. What she said about designing it––in winter––explains why I was drawn to the blanket, though I couldn't have said so myself:
"I went for a run,... for uninterrupted thought and prayer, ... the evening of the full moon. I headed out at the end of the day and was surprised how quickly the sun set.... I thought I would be back before dark, but I miscalculated. I ended up being so grateful though because on my route home, I was running toward the full moon. It was really bright and low in the sky—a big, beautiful, golden full moon.

"I was thinking about the blanket and what it meant to me as I was trying to decide on the title. I thought about winter, the North Star, stars in the winter sky, that celestial presence and the guidance embedded in our [Lakota] symbolism.
I also thought about how life and the necessity of guidance can be different in winter. I thought... also about the importance of finding a title that provides an open invitation, ... allowing folks to apply meaning that speaks to what guides them."
The little white patterns are tipis.
She says:
"The stars were placed first. The four direction crosses came in next. I tried several variations in the striping [background], ... experimented with some zigzags, and nothing was working.
Then I thought, "Oh, tipis!" and as I put them in, it spoke to the feeling of winter for me. I envisioned all these quiet lodges, a camp in the snow against a quiet deep blue sky."
I've had bad, anxious dreams a couple nights this week, though I've felt fine in the days.
I slept under the blanket last night, and my dreams were good.  I love it so much.


Oh! And I should give a cake report:
the cake I baked for the work potluck yesterday, the day I bought the blanket, turned out great!
It tasted as good as I'd figured it would (can't go wrong with eggs and butter), and it looked beautiful when it was cut into

8 comments:

  1. You have the eye of a good jumbler- looking at a forsaken pile of what would be rubbish pulling out the things of quality and value. Blanket is EVERYTHING!! plus good dreams.
    Your cake is a blue ribbon winner- I am inspired to make a yellow cake (grammas recipe) with chocolate icing- It is a favorite in this house! Your layers are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three — count 'em, three — layers. That cake was born to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. three layers- i don't think i have ever made a 3-layer cake! i'm with linda sue and that i'm tempted to make one.

    and an eye for the good stuff when surrounded by lots of lesser stuff is always good!

    i love old wool blankets -- the thinner ones and the thick ones. i pulled out my wool blankets to put on the floor to stop the draft that i think is coming up through the floorboards. a 116 year old house has lots of them!!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, give my seal of approval to the cake.
    And the story behind the blanket is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the years I've developed an eye myself. Probably nothing like yours but I have surely focused in on some beautiful things, let go by either the unknowing or the uncaring. They do just stand out, don't they?
    As does that cake, lady! It's beautiful and I can almost imagine how it tastes.
    And the blanket- yes. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sad that such a beautiful blanket was given away but yay for you. It seems it was destined to be on your bed.
    That cake is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a cake!!!

    Natural materials' quality always stand out.
    That design does have some thought in it. Not surprised that it have given you better sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LINDA SUE: Thanks! I'd love to have your gramma's cake recipe?

    MICHAEL: THREE, count 'em, three layers. This was a first for me. And I'm so pleased they didn't slide off or collapse. :)

    KIRSTEN: Blankets on the floor! Smart, and pretty. Don't slip, now...

    TORORO: I wish I could share the cake to eat online...

    MS MOON: I'm not sure I've developed an eye so much (well, probably I have) as the excellence of the things themselves stand out among the junk!

    SPARKLING MERLOT: Sad? What? Why? No! Just the opposite:
    I wish people WOULD donate good things like this blanket to the thrift store.

    GZ: Yes, that's it--quality & natural materials stand out. I slept well again under the blanket last night--I think it has magic in it!

    ReplyDelete