Thursday, December 22, 2022

Grumbling about Xmas Crap... (but loving the lights)

I actually like the holidays just fine. I enjoy having a tree, and lights (Hanukkah, Solstice, Xmas--all the lights), and I love cards in the mail. But after Grateful-J set up the red dinosaur mauling a kitty in a display case at work (below), I came along and added the Alien eating one of Santa's reindeer.

What I hate about the holidays is the plastic crap people buy, which we're already drowning in. We see the detritus, donated to us at the thrift store.
And it's not just plastic.
Everyone ordering online means cardboard, cardboard, cardboard.
We can't even sell our cardboard (for pennies) to the recycling places anymore, because they have too much. The store has to pay a garbage company to haul away a recycling dumpster.
I doubt they can sell it either, so it goes, you know, to the landfill.

I thought a manager might take our tableau down, but none of our three managers did. Maybe they didn't look closely? Or maybe they share the sentiment?


I. Fire It Up

Across the street from the store, "our neighbors" selling holiday cheer in a needle have set up a patio umbrella to protect their fire.
I guess the police have given up, after clearing the fire camp out twice?
(This is not a homeless encampment, this is street dealers.)

When I saw their latest innovation though, I had to laugh. When I walked past, I even gave them a thumbs up. As long as they're burning wood and not garbage with toxins in it, I don't mind. Someone donates firewood to them... or they steal or buy it from outside gas stations? I don't ask. The cashier told me they buy big bottles of hand sanitizer (w alcohol) from us every morning---and use it as fire starter.
Humans are clever squirrels.

Clever squirrels with guns. The other day as I was leaving work, Big Boss said, "You might want to give it a few minutes, there was just a shooting out there."

"Oh, okay," I said, "I'll check before I leave."
I looked out and everyone had scattered, so I headed to the bus stop. Cops and emergency vehicles arrived as I was getting on the bus. (Too cold and icy to bike.)
I tell ya, you can get used to anything.

The neighbors totally drive customers away though--and, more, and more importantly, donors. The store had a good year, financially, but I know we'd do better if we weren't in a war zone. Still, we do good by serving the people who live in the 'hood and have few choices about where to shop--especially since a lot of businesses have not been rebuilt after the uprisings after the police murdered George Floyd a mile away.

I think the scene doesn't get to me too much because I'm only at the store for around 24 hours a week, not 24 hours/day.
That's why I stopped blogging the Thrifstore Diary regularly--writing about it was bringing work craziness into my home. My mood improved a lot after I stopped re-creating the energy by writing up every shift.

I've worried a bit: was I becoming numb, callous, shut down?
But, no. My coworkers and I vent a lot together––laugh, rage, remind each other to "woo-sah" (chill out), share stories and food...
It definitely can be bleak some days, but it can also be a very fun workplace.

The coming of the new cashier, Emmler, has helped. She's a rocket. She grew up in the neighborhood, so she is unphased.
Here she is imitating a duck. "I fucking hate Christmas," she says. But she took the twisted duck ornament home.

II. Christmas, Though

I set up a Winter Solstice bubble nightlight last night:

Marz really got into decorating at Christmastime when she moved here in 2011, and she showed me how fun it is to brighten up the dark.
She's decorating at the apartment building where she lives--she's become tight with the caretaker there, and some of the other tenants.

Until my mother left the family when I was thirteen, she made Christmas fantastic--candlelight Christmas Eve dinners of buttery oyster stew and champagne, and for Christmas morning, marzipan sweet rolls.
Her specialty was filling our stockings with little things.
I remember the best stocking of all, when I was about ten years old. She'd stuffed it with a wind-up metal robot, a long looping string of pearly baubles, a bottle of bubble bath, a mini wooden farm-in-a-box (made in Germany), and the tiny boxed set of Maurice Sendak's Nutshell Library (c. 1962).
When a set got donated to the store this year, I nabbed it. (The dust jackets are missing, but it's the first one that's come in since I started in 2018.)

 It was sad the first year without my mother––grim––but I got used to it long ago and can't call up any emotion about it now. I haven't had an extended family that expected to gather for Christmas in more than forty years.

I tried alternatives. When I was in my late teens, early twenties, Wicca and a revival of pagan celebrations––bonfires and handmade gifts––were very much in, and Christianity and capitalism was out. For a few years, I celebrated Solstice instead of Christmas.

I eventually went back to Xmas though, because the alternative felt cranky, for my part––saying, "I don't celebrate Xmas" felt like it sent out negative vibes–– rather than being creative--like, finding a meaningful way to do Xmas, which is unavoidably present in the dominant culture all around.

bink and I celebrated happily for many years with homemade gifts and meals. Going to midnight Mass at the Basilica was great for many years too. It starts at midnight, (not like many churches that end their service at midnight), so you'd leave church around 2 a.m. into the cold and silent night.
Maybe I'll go again one year, but not this one--it's too cold!

A mainstay has been Christmas cards, which I make (usually) every year. (Though I only realized yesterday when I got cards together for my coworkers that I haven't mailed all of mine. Eek.)
I'm sad that e-communications has led to far, far less cards in the mail.

And for many years, I made pot roast on Xmas Eve, which I'm doing again this year.
Oh! That's in two days!  *leaps up and pulls the roast out of the freezer*

Sister is coming over this afternoon to exchange presents. I was going to work, but it "feels like –31ºF" and there's a winter weather advisory out: "you will die outside".
So, yeah, no.


Wishing you a happy––or, not too dreadful––Holiday-time to you all!

III. Toward the Small...


Oh, let me add a passage from Michelle Obama on what to do when overwhelmed---Michael posted it on OCA, and I relate totally to it, for me it's the girlettes and toy photography, or lately, baking cakes!
"Any time your circumstances start to feel all-consuming, I suggest you try going in the other direction — toward the small.
Look for something that'll help you rearrange your thoughts, a pocket of contentedness where you can live for a while. And by this I don't mean sitting passively in front of your television or scrolling through your phone. Find something that’s active, something that asks for your mind but uses your body as well. Immerse yourself in the process. And forgive yourself for temporarily ducking out of the storm."

4 comments:

  1. i'm in your camp. xmas holidays used to be fun until i realized all of the ads and just junk that's being sold. you can't even recycle wrapping paper due to the stuff used in it and don't even get me started on glitter and tissue paper.

    selecting what we like about the holidays and doing that is the best. and sometimes that includes dinos eating reindeer. i love the lights especially on houses and the food especially the cookies. i miss my grandmothers springerle and frosted sugar cookies which weren't that sweet to me. i do have her special rolling pin for the springerle --maybe next year. one year i made the noel buche which was fun.

    one year i spent xmas with my high school girlfriend and her husband in germany. that was the best one! so much food and wine!

    ms obama is right --do something small.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrate all of it! Just celebrate and call it good! that is what the orphans are fond of doing- they celebrate Tuesdays and dust bunnies under the sofa! it is all marvelous. Where you work is a bit of harsh reality, the orphans think it , too, is marvelous. "thumbs up for ingenuity" !
    We exchange gifts, everyone brings something that they do not want anymore, something too good to give to goodwill - We do a three round gift exchange game. For others I am baking bread and making cookies. No land fill there.There are clever ways to recycle cardboard other than to sleep on in the homeless camp...I built a house for My son when he was little- it lasted very well. I really love cardboard. Stella built a mouse house and adds to it every now and then. Fashioned after the one in
    Amsterdam.
    Our postal service has been broken up here so that eliminates the urge to send out cards, which I have- there is always next year or in between, IF the postal service improves!
    If there is such a thing as "Bless" - bless your dear mother, her difficult life, her children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is no secret that I consider most of what we call Christmas celebrations to be either banal or downright evil. Especially the over-gifting of crap that no one needs or wants and which yes, will end up in a landfill.
    I know that religious services can truly comfort and fill the hearts of many. And that is good. I am not one of them but I do not begrudge them.
    And I write this, sitting here eating a cookie that was gifted to me from a loved one even though I have no need of one extra calorie but using Christmas as an excuse, I rationalize it.
    Does this make me a jerk, a hypocrite or a deeply disturbed cynic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. KIRSTEN: Yes--focus on what brings joy in this season. Lights & cookies!!! LOL I've seen those springerle rolling pins--would like to try them---they look so clever and attractive!

    LINDA SUE: Probably not in my personality to "celebrate all" the horror I see around my workplace, but I hear you.

    A former coworker works for Adventures in Cardboard--they work with kids making costumes (robots, knights, etc;.) out of boxes--fab!
    We get waaaay more cardboard than could be used for crafts tho--a roomful every week.

    Thank you for the blessing. THere is such a thing.

    Ms MOON: Oh heck, no, not a jerk, etc.--you're just human!
    Our amygdalas cast the deciding vote: Cookie, or no? COOKIE!

    Gosh, did I imply something as sentimental as church brings "comfort and fills the heart"? I hope not!
    I think that's Hallmark Channel you're thinking of? LOL

    ReplyDelete