Monday, November 28, 2022

bink's Eyes-Closed cartoon "My Concussion"

Now in her eighth concussed month, bink has been drawing with eyes closed. Her eyes are still a hair off from being synchronized, so looking at things can make her sick and dizzy.
Awful!
BUT... her eyes-closed drawings are cool.
Brain injuries are disgusting, frightening, . . . but so fascinating, showing how we live inside our skulls.

In bink's case--her being an artist with a brain injury extra-illuminates how vision happens inside the brain, and how that dark place receives and sends messages to coordinate with the outside world.

This is bink's first panels for The Story of My Concussion.
She says she did open her eyes in places, to see where she was placing the figures and text.
I hope she'll continue the story... 

Note: Tenebrae means "darkness". It is the Catholic Church's evening service on Good Friday, after Jesus has been laid in the tomb, dead, dead, dead. Every year, bink & Cathy climb up through the above-the-ceiling space in the Basilica here, carrying rose petals, and drop the dark red petals at the end of the service.

 


And here are my girlettes:

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh my goodness! What artists you are!

Fresca said...

MS MOON: bink is even a card-carrying artist. But as you say, we all have that creative spark!!!

gz said...

I hope her recovery carries on...it is taking so long.
However, marvellous and fascinating drawings.

Linda Sue said...

WOW her drawings sent me into raptures! They are soooo great. The figure holding the bag of roses, just the head alone is so cool. I am glad she has found a way to trick that damned concussion into taking a back seat, allowing the art to flow. I wish her all of the wishes, her head will heal and it will never happen again. St. Mary wasn't much help...

Linda Sue said...

another thing, I buckled and opened an instagram account just so that I could see Toysrecreatart!

Steve Reed said...

Amazing! She could do a whole book -- and I hope she does!