Sunday, October 30, 2022

Invitation to Play

I posted this on my IG, and you're all invited too.
No rules! Fulfill this however you want, if you want.

"Wanna play? Post YOUR toy-recreation of Vermeer’s “Girl with a Pearl Earring” on Sunday, November 6, and tag it: #toysrecreatepaintings. This is my preliminary study…"



I'd like to do a series of paintings re-created by toys--mixing some of my favorite but lesser known works in with iconic ones.
The Girl with a Pearl Earring
by Johannes Vermeer (1665) makes the Top Twenty Famous Paintings list.

Climate activists have been targeting––but not harming––famous paintings, which I think is hilarious.  A man glued his head to this one's frame, just this week [NYT].
The protestors make a good point:
“How do you feel when you see something beautiful and priceless being apparently destroyed before your eyes?” the protester said.
“Do you feel outraged?
Good.
Where is that feeling when you see the planet being destroyed before your very eyes?”

I wouldn't go so far as Nietzsche as to wish for "nothing more than daily to lose some reassuring belief", to seek and find happiness "in this daily greater liberation of the mind."*

But I'd sure say that loss of reassuring belief is forced upon us––or at least it's plenty there for the taking––in these times.
(Maybe in every age, really.)
SO it could be seen as an invitation to greater liberation--though how much can a person take.
A little levity with your liberation?
______________________

*Did Nietzsche say that? It sounds like him, eh? but I can only find it unsourced...

No comments:

Post a Comment