Monday, October 31, 2022

Happy Halloween! Do what you like.

They are being 'Ghosts in the Window'.
I was going to paint their orbs orange, to be pumpkins, but oh, no, they said, we are ghosts.

I have bought candy for trick-or-treaters.
Did I buy enough?
A neighbor told me people come here from other neighborhoods because a couple blocks away there's a Haunted Alley, decorated by the people on that block.

Maybe I should buy more.
I don't want a lot of leftover candy because I will eat it. Of course I would take it to work, but first I would eat a whole lot of it. You know, for breakfast.

I'm going to sit on my doorstep with the toys this evening and hand out candy. I'm not dressing up, but they are.
I'm going over to my sister's later this morning to carve a little jack-o-lantern. I don't much like carving pumpkins though--I might make make more costumes for dolls and bears instead.

That's the thing, isn't it? If you have a choice, do what you like.
Duh, obviously.
But the things I've talked myself out of, because they didn't seem ... sophisticated enough, or intellectual, or something.
Star Trek and dolls don't cut it.
(Growing up in an academic family didn't help.)

I still wrestle with that. I was fretting, for instance, that inviting people to recreate famous paintings with toys on Instagram was too ... unoriginal. Copying other people's paintings is too easy.
Geez. (Like artists don't borrow all the time?)

The question, I told myself, isn't whether it's nobler to do this or to do that.
The question is will you DO this, or that?

And I will definitely do this, because I like it, I want to, and I already am doing it, in fact, and want to do it more.

It's a sandbox, not an IQ test, for godsake:
So, calm down, Critical Judgey Self!


bink (below) brought over a blue plastic bag yesterday--the kind circulars come in--to be the Girl in the Pearl Earring's headdress.
Its crinkly reflective surface is perfect!
I made a second invitation for IG today, since Sundays, when I posted the first one, can be low-view days:

bink and I talked about what paintings would be good to recreate.

The boats in The Great Wave by Hokusai always intrigued me. The full title refers to them: Under the Wave off Kanagawa (at The Met).
(It's not a painting, it's a woodblock print, but I'm not being pedantic about this.)


bink can't look down too much with her eyes because they're still out of whack (concussion). But she's a great advisor.
She was helping me think about how to recreate the wave in the kitchen.
For the IG ––or here, if anyone wants to join in––there are NO RULES.
But for myself, it's not a rule, but what I like is to utilize mostly only what I have on hand. I'm not going for accuracy, I'm more interested in problem solving with everyday objects.

This re-creation will take some doing...
A different painting would be better for the next IG challenge, I think--something easier.
I'm thinking either Frida Kahlo with Monkey & Cat or Goya's Red Boy, with magpie & cats.

 
Neither are in the Top Twenty iconic paintings, but both'd be fun to re-create. Opinions?

3 comments:

  1. love the idea of play. there isn't enough in the world anymore.

    and that's me also -- critical judgey self as the person who gets halfway through a project and takes it apart because of the self judging.....

    i don't think i have had trick or treaters in over 10 years.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps i like the Frida or Goya as another one or two to try.

    i always find someone's idea of the top twenty never applicable to me as i always wonder who were the persons who answered!!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kirsten!
    Yeah, that self-judgment doesn’t do us any good, does it…
    I try to override it, but it’s sticky as nicotine.
    Ugh.

    PLAY helps loosen it up and wash it away.

    ReplyDelete