Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Happy Summer Solstice!

 I. Summer Solstice

We are riding a cosmic Tilt-a-Whirl.
No matter how many times someone demonstrates with a grapefruit for the Sun and an orange for the Earth, I always have to look up how the seasons work.

(But why do the seasons change if the Earth is flat? I sure hope the Earth is not flat, or the Marzipan will sail off the edge!)

From BBC Science Focus:

Here, today will last 15 hours, 36 minutes, about twice the daylight of winter solstice (8 hours, 45 minutes ).

The light is great, but I'm not a summer lover--the coming heat of July frightens me.
I lived without a/c until summer 2011 when one night it felt like the heavy heat would smother me, like a cat lying on a baby.

Sleeping with a window a/c roaring is not so easy, but it's better than no a/c at all.
It's evil, but honestly I'd love to live with central air conditioning. Maybe wherever I live next will have it. It's getting to be the norm here.

II. I'm not a horse or a rider to you, and neither are you to me.

Manage:
etymology:
mid-1500s (in the sense ‘put (a horse) through the paces of the manège’): from Italian maneggiare, based on Latin manus ‘hand’.

Another staff meeting this morning. Big Boss gets on a roll with them for a while, and then he drops them.
I'd told him I wasn't going to address my coworkers again this week. "I don't want to lecture them", I said.

He didn't seem to understand:
"But they took it from you well last week..."

Took it?
Right there's the rub:
I don't want to administer medicine or handle my coworkers like horses, while that's just how BB sees leadership: as a parental role, administering guidance, chastising, knowing best. (He's not so much on praise.)

Ah, well. You've heard me complain about bad management forever. It's everywhere, right?
Who is good at it?
I wouldn't be!

I lost my cool with an old pal for being overly directive.
Huh, I guess that style is really bugging me lately.
He knows it, too--calls it being "over-mom-ish". (He thinks he's more motherly than fatherly.)

I usually see him quarterly, which works well, but I've seen him more
lately--too much.
Yesterday
some directive of his made me angry/afraid ("angraid"? "afry"?), and I barked at him: Back off!

Fair enough, but I wish I'd been kinder.
I made amends this morning.

And on we go.
In a kind of always-tilting twirl, like the Earth.

Happy Summer to you all! XO

1 comment:

  1. I grew up with central air and had it also while living in TX. It's not friendly to sinuses of people. Friends who have been exposed to it for over 30 years complain about sinus problems. I hated it in TX as the buildings would be so cold and then to come out to a temp difference of over 30 degrees.

    I've had window units or no A/C since 2003. Yeah, they can be noisy but I also like that I can control what rooms get cooled. I use my box fans all the time. Since I don't live in constant A/C I think my body is able to adjust to temperature changes better.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete