Tuesday, June 21, 2022

What's in Old Bay Seasoning?


Michael recommended adding Old Bay Seasoning to salmon croquettes. I've never used it--looks good. Ingredients above.

The man who invented it
:
"Gustav Brunn, a German Jewish refugee who landed in Baltimore with his hand-crank spice grinder after two weeks in Buchenwald concentration camp."

The recipe is secret, but there's a close approximation of
Old Bay Seasoning at the Daring Gourmet.
Definitely would be easier for me to buy it... I don't have all these spices on hand, but I do like knowing what's in it. Paprika & celery seeds! I'd never guess.

Benefit of making it myself--I'd leave the salt out. Too many other foods have salt in them--like Worcestershire sauce.

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a blend worth trying.
    What would you use it with apart from fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GZ, This is a question for Michael. Old Bay is new to me!
      Michael, are you there?

      Delete
  2. The can says seafood, poultry, salads, meats. I’ve had it with crab cakes, salmon croquettes, and chicken. Now I’m tempted to try it with tuna salad (skipping the usual curry powder). In some states you can buy Old Bay-flavored potato chips — they’re pretty amazing.

    I’m almost certain we once had a can with all the ingredients listed. But now the can lists only “celery salt (salt, celery seed), spices (including red pepper and black pepper), and paprika.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the other side of the can, which also suggests French fries, corn on the cob, steamed vegetables, potato salad, eggs, and popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and Utz potato chips with chesapeake bay crab seasoning. I love those so much but it I open a bag they are gone. And yes, a little bit of salt!

    And definitely on boiled crabs covered with the seasoning spread out on brown paper on a picnic table by the water........Oh, that is heaven especially in the summer.

    And Pepperidge Farms has limited edition Old Bay seasoned goldfish.

    For those of us who lived in the Baltimore area, absolute nirvana.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michael and Kirsten for more info on Old Bay! I want the potato chips!!!

    ReplyDelete