Wednesday, June 22, 2022

The Work Is Where the Work Is: BOOK's

 I couldn't believe it--without asking me, yesterday Art, the volunteer who does art & frames, hung a damaged, handmade (1920s?) Japanese painted paper umbrella in the BOOK's, over the fiction.

Art and I spat sometimes, and we don't share the same taste--he likes clean lines only, while I like those, AND kitschy and worn out things.

He has started to show me ratty old things saying, "I knew you'd like this."

Usually he's right. And he was right:

I LOVE the umbrella.

More than you can tell in the photo I think, it makes the area feel different than the rest of the store--marked off, contained, and a little magical.

Like Blanche DuBois haning a paper shade and saying, I have created enchantment.

It was that sort of day yesterday.
After a lackluster meeting--Big Boss showed us a YouTube about Kaizen, the Japanese business strategy of "constant improvement" that a customer had told me about. A YouTube. 
I can see why he wanted me to do it instead.

BUT... besides Art (the volunteer), two other people spontaneously helped me---Ass't Man sanded the rough edge of a bookshelf, and Jesse put up a display shelf.

A prhase from Kaizen is,
"The work is where the work is."
Yes!

Here are some more photos of BOOK's.
I have to leave, so I'm dumping them...

HISTORY


FICTION

Below, NOTE the gold horse on top shelf--it used to hold a clock. Another dumpster rescue. Housewares cannot get behind kitsch, especially if it's damaged.
The Singer above too was in metal recycling 🙄. Housewares verdict:
"It's missing important parts."


The New Arrivals cart--a recent addition, and popular:

Side-by-Side: Two horses

Honest to God, the pencil sharpener was another dumpster rescue! "It's beat up," Housewares said.

TRAVEL
With dolls from Poland

5 comments:

gz said...

Singer machines can be mended and parts are still available!!
They are now owned by Pfaff I think

All those books..heaven!!

Steve Reed said...

Every time I see your book displays I want to visit your store. Love the umbrella! And bravo for rescuing so many items from the houseware department's discards bin!

Fresca said...

GZ: Exactly! A customer almost bought this Singer for his aunt who repairs them, but his uncle had forbidden him from giving his wife (the aunt) any more! 😄 I guess she has dozens...

I am in heaven with the books, yes indeed.

Anonymous said...

As I scrolled down the photos of books, I almost felt like Homer Simpson but instead of "do - nuts" I intoned "booooks".

And all of the rescue pieces. The Singer absolutely can be repaired. I bought my Singer treadle from someone who buys them, fixes them and sells them. Old Singers have a market!!!

The rescue pieces add so much to the books section and the Japanese umbrella is superb hanging like it is.

Kaizen is an interesting concept to try there but would need the help of all of the departments including housewares. Part of their philosophy is to reduce waste which would mean housewares get with the program and quit throwing out things that are of value and can be sold and assist those in the neighborhood.

kirsten

Fresca said...

Hi, Kirsten:
Good point about kaizen needing to be company-wide:
that's one of the reasons I didn't want to address my coworkers on the topic--that is not going to happen.
It'll just be an inspirational talk by BB, and nothing will happen.

I decided for myself not to keep pointing things out to HouseWares.
I don't want to become the Chastiser of Colleagues,
but most importantly, it simply doesn't help:
they seem immune to SEEING that beat-up old stuff of interest to anyone.

Exception: they do spot sterling silver now!