Monday, April 4, 2022

Blue & Yellow/ "What Can We Build Instead?"

I set up a book display last week for Ukraine.
Just the colors of the flag--the books' contents don't signify (unlike the related War & Peace display I set up in early March).

The print, top center, by Micah Bazant, quotes activist Mariame Kaba:

"When something can't be fixed,
the the question is
WHAT CAN WE BUILD
INSTEAD?"

(That's supposed to be a broken-open geode--
it more brings to my mind

"The Doomsday Machine" >
from Star Trek-TOS.)

I didn't add a sign to the book display--
I see Ukraine flags all over the city, but I wonder if customers will get the reference.

Not that I'd know, mostly,
especially since I've been out with a cold (the old-fashioned virus) since the day after I put the display up.


This is one of my first watercolors, painted when I was in bed with some virus nine years ago––2013––when getting a cold or the flu wasn't so fraught:


It's one of a series of postcard paintings I was making back then, with my gouache pan-paints.
I also painted maybe my favorite-ever series that year, the Snadgers in Space Flashcards:
gugeo.blogspot.com/2013/10/name-that-vegetable-flashcards.html

I've always thought of myself as a beginning artist.
Ridiculous! It's past-time I graduated to calling myself an amateur artist, or whatever--just something more realistic about where I am in time.

I was doing the math: my father and my grandmother both died at eighty-six years old.
If I live that long, I have twenty-five years left.
2022 + 25 = 2047.
Hm. Not bad, but it definitely calls for a change in how I perceive myself. Not a beginner.

1 comment:

  1. What a great display! Even if customers don't get it, it was put together with intent and support which to me is what counts! I also like how it is rather subtle.

    I think you should call yourself an artist because you are. I never understand why we have to label ourselves the point at which we are in our journey. It's almost like we have to put artists into categories to understand what they are trying to say. And at what point does the artist progress from beginning or amateur to professional.......

    Yikes i never thought of looking at where i am in time and much longer I have to go. My dad's side of the family was 95 and my mom was 90. Time to get cracking on my artwork!!!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete