Tuesday, April 5, 2022

The interior is un/cluttered

Michael of OCA informed me there's a KonMari line of products you can buy at the Container Store. "Indispensable products" for your "tidying journey", designed by Marie Kondo, author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

I have liked Kondo's teaching: clear the clutter, keep what you love.
But that she is creating more stuff, more mass-produced, spendy stuff, as "solutions" to create
harmony and calm, (so the ad copy says), in a world that is drowning in stuff? 

That doesn't seem like a solution at all.
It seems like more of the same, but covered in linen.


Here is the KonMari Method™ Harmony Linen Storage Box.
I painted it.
The copy says the box is a "joy-sparker", so I added a plug.
It doesn't have a plug, really. Or a lid.

The Product Information says, "
The interior is uncluttered...".
Yes. It's a box.

 
Fifty bucks.

WHAT CAN WE BUILD INSTEAD?

All the creative mending that's going on in recent years is a better response to all the crap in the world. It's not about making everything look clean, it's about living with the mess. 

The drive to purity can be dangerous. How can we get rid of the inconveniences of life?
Turns out, blasting living problems with antibiotics doesn't work so well in the long run. The interior is cluttered--necessarily so!
Could we work to incorporate them better somehow?

Julia is a friend whose mending shows me what that can look like. From her Instagram, here's a sweater she bought already holey at the (my) thrift store that is a continual state of mending:


Visible mending can seem a bit precious, a bit twee, but look at how it works if you apply it to other things,
if you extend the idea of mending a sweater:
it expands into a whole way of solving problems, from relationships to climate crisis.

If you extend the "solutions" of KonMari Products,
those linen boxes get dented and dirty and you're back where you started in the search for purity.

5 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I also like your painting of the box. I hope they sell an adapter for plugging in the box while traveling.

I also like the aesthetic of wabi-sabi, which I think that beautiful sweater exemplifies.

I wrote something this morning about the sentence from MK's website about Klarna, the payment method for the box and other merch. So between us, we have the visual and verbal totally covered. In beautiful linen!

Fresca said...

Thanks, Michael, for shining a light onto Loan Shark Klarna--I added a link from my post to yours.
(Hm, I might paint a picture of this shark goddess. She's got lots and lots of arms...)

The adapter (that doesn't exist) for the box costs more than the box!

Oh, yes, wabi-sabi--that's what I was trying to get at--the opposite of Blast It with Radiation--"an aesthetic of the acceptance of transience and imperfection".

Linda Sue said...

Julia's sweater is a beauty. A good trend, that. Your box did bring joy, not $50.00, Fancy having a career making this stuff up and going on to make more stuff and raking in the cash. Anything is possible.
Lesson here is buy good quality from a thrift shop, love it, mend it and wear it, use it. I am inspired by Julie's skill!

Michael Leddy said...

Yikes — please overlook the first “also.” I think I had the sweater first and didn’t reread carefully.

Anonymous said...

Rather ironic than the person urging people to keep only that that brings joy is suggesting that by buying their products I will experience joy.

Love the sweater mending -- my first thought upon seeing it was how Cubism it was.

Kirsten