Sunday, May 23, 2021

"You have to clean the filter first."

 Penny Cooper is advising me on Doing Things Correctly the First Time.

It's like a sauna here, this Sunday morning, after days of rain and heat, but I am super eager to get painting my room white. With the the newly opened-up transom windows, it'll be like a light box.
Super excited for that!

So I looked up "How to Paint in High Humidity" and read that it's okay to paint inside walls if you turn the a/c on. The a/c pulls moisture out of the air.
(Not possible outside, obviously.)

I set my window unit up, and turned it on.

Penny Cooper became agitated:
You have to clean the filter first! She even found where it is:


Thank you, Penny Cooper!

Penny is like the more rational side of me.
She would wait fifteen minutes for two marshmallows (rather than eating one, immediately, which I would do).
Not because she's a moral athlete but because IT WOULDN'T BOTHER HER.

It's not that she'd be a martyr and suffer for the pleasure of an extra marshmallow, she just would be truly chill with waiting:

"I don't mind waiting.
And I would share the extra marshmallow with the others."
That's the ticket---to work WITH yourself, not to punish yourself into trying to be someone else. (Like, that works?)

Anyway, I am someone else already:
Penny Cooper!

(I guess that's true?
But Penny Cooper doesn't feel like me to me.
That's why she's such a useful friend:
I can ask her for advice.
What she advises is different than what I'd usually say.)

Now I'm going to go wash the smudges off the walls.
It's the correct procedure, you know, before painting.

3 comments:

  1. Penny Cooper, therapy, open book, no judgement or expectation. Just...Penny Cooper.
    Good luck with painting in a hot house. That can not be pleasant. And the fumes can kill you. Don't die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Penny that I cleaned my filter today also despite that I most likely will not run the window unit very much. I do need to get out the vacuum cleaner and try to clean some of the dust off of the coils as well as try to clean the top vents. They are so filthy and all I can think of is that they are blowing dirt into the room.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny Cooper is practical as well as wise. And before painting you need to clean the whole wall, not just the smudges, preferably by washing down with "sugar soap" and letting it dry. I know this from my father-in-law who was a Master Painter and Decorator with his own very successful business. Use a brush for "cutting in" which is edging around window and door frames before using a roller for the rest of the wall areas. Don't forget the drop cloth to catch drips and splashes.

    ReplyDelete