Saturday, May 22, 2021

Home Improvements Weekend: More light!

I'm back home from cat sitting, and HouseMate is out of town on a bike trip.
I'm taking the opportunity to make some changes to my room/area that I've wanted to do for more than a year that are easier to do on my own.

This is the first opportunity since  Covid.

I loved being at the condo this past week because it had huge bay windows, so it was bright (even though north-facing), and it was clean and tidy.

So, first and most exciting change here:
I got up at 6 a.m. and knocked out the board nailed across the transom/piano windows of my room.

You can see, they now open into the east-facing front porch.
Morning light!
I'm also going to paint my walls white (perhaps slightly tinted gray).

(I don't know why anyone would board up these beautiful windows, but they sure did a thoroughly thorough job of it--I had to break the board with a sledge hammer.)

So... You can see the open interior windows are intact, and they close nice and snug.
But I guess I need to replace the board with a screen?
A series of three storm windows that slide open?
(Ideas?)

I'm happy to pay for whatever. I guess I'll wait and see what HM wants.


This is the view from the porch side, with a bit of the board still attached (top, left).
I can only do so much to tidy up, since it's HM's stuff, but I will clean it.

I am sitting at my little orange tile table right now, typing this post.


6 comments:

  1. What an improvement! Perhaps somebody just doesn't like morning light and prefers to wake at the crack of noon. I love the tiled table, I don't see many around here, but they're so pretty.
    Perhaps get one framed screen made to fit across all three windows and attach it to the outside frame where the wood was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GZ: It's so nice already!

    RIVER: That's a good idea---one long screen--wouldn't cost much either.

    I love my little tile table--it made Made in China, cheaply, but it's real ceramic tile. So cheery!

    Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete
  3. That definitely looks like an improvement! Do you really need a storm window or screen? If they're snug, maybe they're enough. (Or maybe not. I have never experienced a Minnesota winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. STEVE: You may be right---might not even need an outer window.
    Still need a screen---MOSQUITOES are the Minnesota bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you! I have to have lots and lots of light. My house now was built in 1906 so the windows are big!

    At the same time we are heading into our 7th day of overcast and rainy/drizzle/threat of rain. I would almost think I live in Seattle.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete