Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Fascinating Flavors: Bell, Book, and Barbell

Some people asked about the cow on my desk at work. Here's a close-up. She's a ceramic bell--that hummock she's sitting on is the hollow bell--made in Japan--1950s-60s, I figure.

More cowbell!

She does look like Elsie the Borden cow, as Michael pointed out, but what's with the pantsless clown outfit?

 It's the oddest nice thing to come into the thrift store (there've been lots more odd icky things).
The housewares-pricer didn't see its worth. She priced it 99 cents! I rescued it off the sales floor to feature it online, and to reprice it.

Ass't Man agreed it should be more. He said he loved it, maybe he should get it.
I said, "If it's for you, it's still 99 cents."

(Speaking of odd--I don't trust Ass't Man, but I don't actively dislike him on a good day. I like that he likes odd things.)

Another odd thing: the advertising copy on this Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum I found in an old Reader's Digest book (pretty cover, eh?):

"The gum with the fascinating artificial flavor"

Yesterday's gym class (my/the girlettes' name for one-on-one strength-training) was good.
Ben, "the gym teacher", good-naturedly posed in the background of Low and her barbell:


(Barbell ^ made with the wire handle of a take-out-food box and discs I cut off a wine cork and painted.)

When Ben saw Low sitting on his desk afterward, he said, "That's how I feel after a workout."
Tired and pleased with herself, I'd say:

It's Ben's gym, and he said I could link the photos to him on social media. His Instagram.
A gym that's happy to link to a doll––not the usual advertising... No wonder I feel comfortable there.

I hope this once-a-week meeting will help me reprogram my brain to move more slowly, with intention, to avoid injury at work and to get/stay fitter as I age = My Goal.

I've been wondering how to mark turning sixty in two weeks--this fits the bill.
Some aches & pains have nudged me to take this more seriously, but also to enter into it playfully. Including the Orphan Reds makes it a fun adventure, and that makes it more do-able.

(
It's sliding-fee scale, btw. I pay $35/half-hour class, which I consider reasonable and fair. Whatever it costs to stay healthy, it's worth paying, if you can.)

Here's Low smack in the middle of the recent posting on IG #madelinedoll  (The others are all from Asia--esp. Korea & Japan.)
Hey--the first Madeline is wearing a cow outfit! And so we come full circle.


5 comments:

  1. Have the best brain-reprogramming sessions! (remember: "Dolls help")

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least keep the paper cover of the gum -- if you see the current version, ick!!!

    Did you ever make chains with gum wrappers or even other articles?

    Ben the gym guy sounds cool! He must be if he wanted to post a photo of Low!

    Keeping/getting fit as we age is a great goal!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who are willing to have a doll pose for their business are the best kind of people. I love the barbells and Low's gym outfit.
    I like the picture of all the Madeline dolls too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a friendly post — friendly gym owner, friendly dolls, friendly readers.

    “The gum with the fascinating artificial flavor”: my, that’s an unsettling slogan. It reminds me of Bob and Ray's commercials for Einbinder Flypaper: "A brand you've gradually grown to trust over the course of three generations."

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL -- I've never thought of "artificial flavor" as a selling point!

    ReplyDelete