Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Life in a Body/ Murderbot images

It's going to be above-zero Fahrenheit today. Seven above! I don't have to wear my snow pants to the bus stop.

I've felt like I'm in straitjacket with all the layers I wear, and, adding the respirator, with an octopus on my face.

I came home in a foul mood yesterday.
I drank a glass of wine and went to bed at 7:30.

Woke up restored to perkiness, but I tell you, living through a pandemic winter without private transport is a time-sucking drag.
It's going to be in the 30s next week, and I can start biking again.
WHEW!

I see Ben the Gym Guy this afternoon for my half-hour physical training.
It really is training--my brain.
I want/need to be more physically aware of how I move at work (and everywhere).

Having been healthy most of my almost-sixty years, I've gotten away with taking my body for granted.
That's changing, but my brain is not really changing with it.

"Aging well"--that's been one of my Life Goals for a while.
Wasn't sure what that even meant---now it's about reorienting myself--MY MIND--to my body.
That takes some doing.

It's like I wrote yesterday about trying to upload new images in my data bank.
This is trying to rewrite code about how I live in my body. I've gotten away with making little effort, and is it ever hard to ramp that up.
Ergh.

Murderbot's Body

The Murderbot stories (by Martha Wells) appeal to me partly because they're about a sentient being who has to deal with free will, and finds it hard going.
A corporation created Murderbot to work as a Security Unit--a piece of equipment. It rewrites its code to free itself, and then it has to figure out what it wants, who it is.

One of the charming parts of the story is that the main thing Murderbot wants is to watch media--basically like TV space soap-operas. They also provide context for living among humans.
No wonder media fans love Murderbot.

It's got emotions and intelligence, it looks like a human with a blend of skin tones, and it has no gender or sexuality (it was built without it). (Not to say it doesn't love, even though it wasn't programmed to, or have nonsexual desires.)
I've been looking at images of nonbinary people to help me envision the character. Trans actor Theo Germaine, here, fits some of what I imagine.  (I saw him in a small role in The Politician* (Netflix), which I liked.)


Fan-art I've seen tends to focus on the sad and lost and sweet side of Murderbot.
But Murderbot was designed to kill, and it's disturbed by some past murders it committed.

I came across an image for Murderbot that fills in a gap in fanart I've seen: the violent side of the character.
This is pro-boxer Claressa Shields.


*P.S. Still from the opening credits of The Politician. The main character, Payton, is a high school student, and these are his classes, including
AP Intersectional Fluidity & Politicizing Beyoncé.
The show got mediocre reviews, but it's onto something(s).

American Law
Abnormal Psych. V
Russian Lit
AP Intersectional Fluidity
Politicizing Beyoncé
Mandarin III
History of Modern Sexuality
Religious Studies (not sure what that's doing here, actually)

3 comments:

  1. I also love Murderbot books. They are quite interesting and bring up interesting points about perception of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Religious Studies only belong if a person is in a seminary studying to be a priest, in my opinion it doesn't belong in regular schools. Not even in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't really been able to get a handle on what Murderbot looks like except I picture te being rather square and stocky. Don't know why... probably closer to your boxer.

    I think the way the story is told I always picture Murderbot from inside Murderbot...other people in the stories I see has full figures, but Murderbot I only see the same way I would view my own body: in bits and pieces or via reflection/camera.

    ReplyDelete