Monday, January 25, 2021

Traveling Dolls

 A box of rather beat-up old dolls was donated to the store. I want to spend some time with them, figure out who they are.
Here are just a couple.

This doll wears a folk costume from Madeira (Portugal). There are lots of this type of souvenir doll online.
Her face is so dirty, but I love her hand-painted features.  She reminds me a bit of Linda Sue's Polish dolls, but is she slightly annoyed...?


Her hands have stitched fingers--seems like a lot of work:

Cloth nesting dolls--they tuck into each other's apron pockets. I haven't seen these before, have you? No maker's label or anything.


Three of my twenty-four girlettes have found a new home. A store customer who follows me on FB recently told me how much she and her two kids enjoy my doll photos.
I asked her if they'd like one... or three dolls.
Yes! she said.

The dolls discussed amongst themselves who would get to go, and what they would wear. Here they are on my desk this morning.

And waiting to get picked up at the cashier's area. They are excited.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the dolls that were donated especially the nesting dolls. I have bunches of them that I collected especially ones from St. Petersburg and Moscow in the 90's. One of them was purchased at a state one store and the features were done in an art deco style. I showed them to our Intourist guide and she remarked something along the line of, "they were probably glad to sell them."

Kirsten

Anonymous said...

PS: a state-run store for tourists which the guides take you to.

And a bon voyage for the Girlettes as they head out for a new adventure!

Linda Sue said...

How lucky for jenny Kraft! Three seems to be a good number. Nat , maple, and Marden are anxious to hear about the Girlettes new home and the folks who will care for them.
Even Dennis loves your calendar! he is not a fan of toys of any sort usually. He was born an adult.
Your finds are wonderful, You might want to keep them, they have stories to tell.

River said...

I like the nesting dolls, never seen any like that before.
I hope the girlettes are very happy in their new home, they look happy to be going.

Steve Reed said...

I think the nesting dolls may have been made from a craft kit. I had a babysitter who sewed me and my brother some Santa dolls that were similarly printed on fabric. She cut out the figures, stitched them and stuffed them. Just a hunch.

Anonymous said...

I should send you photos of the dolls I have. I was looking at them this morning and found I have one of what I am calling "Linda Sue" dolls - the ones from Poland! As well as a Russian tea cozy that is basically a large doll.

Kirsten

bink said...

I love that these dolls all look very played with, even though they are the type of doll lots of people would consider collector dolls. It makes me think that a child had someone in their life who traveled abroad a lot and brought back dolls from different countries as souvenirs. My aunt (Larry's wife) who was a stewardess did that--only she kept the dolls for herself and has them in a pristine collection.

I was jealous of a grade school classemate who's dad was a international journalist (back when the Strib as 2 newspapers and had such employees). He was always bringing in cool stuff his dad brought for him from Egypt, or wherever, for show and tell.

The girlettes look very excited to be heading out on a new adverture! Hooray!