Monday, January 25, 2021

Freshen Up

A near miss: bink pointed out that the one-room studio I'd applied for is facing a highway that's under construction for the next two years.
I'd thought that project was done!
But noooooo, it'll be noise & dust, dawn till dark, all the warm months of the year.

So, darn.
I told the apartment people to cancel my application. I assume I'll lose the application fee, but at least this time I didn't actually sign a lease and lose my one-month deposit (as I'd done last year with an apartment over a busy street---I could have/should have known the all-night roar of traffic would bother me.)

Today I see Ben, the gym guy, for a one-on-one session--at a distance, now gyms have reopened again.
My intention is to SLOW DOWN, move with more intention, pay attention to physical things.
To other things in general, too--don't leap before I look around, look ahead.

I'd talked with HM when I applied for the apartment.
I'd thought she'd be hurt that I was thinking of moving, but she said she understood my desire to be back in my old neighborhood.
We had a good chat about making some changes to the house, now the new windows are in.
They are fabulous! The house is quieter & snugger, yet brighter.

I want to make this place more comfortable for me, including finally painting my room a cream color--white with a slight warm yellow undertone.
My desk chair is 1970s-Orange, so it'll tilt toward citrus.

Marz is moving to a new place in a week, a shared house walking distance to her new co-op job almost 5 miles from here.
Much as I'll miss her, I'll be glad to have access to the guest room again--a room I'd painted (a sort of ochre) when I first moved in.
More private space.

Work is going better.
Now I have a respirator, I'm more comfortable. I'm back to working my usual hours (24/week). And
since Ass't Man has calmed down again, the overall mood is improved.

Last week we got the December sales print-out: BOOK's had their best month ever:
around 2,000 printed materials sold (including magazines at 25¢ each; Last-Chance books at 33¢; crime, romance, & kids books at 49¢ = the total income was only around $2,000  . . . but that's a lot for our poor store).
I was pleased and proud.

Now my intention is to look for second
part-time job.
I'm not ruling out a new, full-time job if I see something ideal,
but the idea of sitting at the computer at home alone, all day, makes my heart sink.

We shall see.

Oh, hey, a bit of cheering news for me:
just now, 8:34 a.m. Monday, the rental company emailed that they'll refund my $55 application fee. YAY!

I cancelled my subscription to MasterClass too. It was almost $200 for a year, and from the classes I've skimmed in the past ten days, really no better than the 3,600+ TEDtalks free online. 

Those refunds will pay for my Baymax comforter cover, paint, and a couple gym classes.
In about six weeks, I turn sixty.
Fingers crossed, at this moment the future looks fresh.
                           

3 comments:

  1. Well, that's too bad about the apartment, but thank goodness you realized your mistake (thanks to Bink) AND got your money back! Congrats on the good numbers for book sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are looking up, up and away for you right now. About time, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear book sales are up, that's always a good thing, to have people reading and enjoying books.
    I'm glad your application fee got refunded.

    ReplyDelete