Monday, December 21, 2020

Holiday zest

Ha-ha, like I'm ever going to do this (saw on IG)--but aren't the orange peels clipped into stars pretty? How did they get them so even?

At the nearby bakery: "Be Smart, Stand Apart" donut floor markers.
This bakery mostly makes old-fashioned American things, like the holiday sheet cake, but they also bake that  Swedish Princess Torte, top left:
covered in green marzipan, it's white cake layered with whipped cream and raspberry jam. Sweet!

 

I'm making my usual pot roast for Xmas, because I like it, and it's incredibly easy.
Otherwise I'm not planning a celebration.
I don't usually do much for the holiday, so it doesn't make much difference to me that we can't gather.
HM is bummed because she can't see her children, so she's not in the holiday mood.
Marz, I think, is mostly in an in-between stage--job hunting and waiting for her synthesizer to arrive so she can play it.

But as I keep saying, I'm in a good mood since my dental excavation.
I'm remembering that in the past couple years, I was looking at articles with titles such as, "How to Improve Your Energy."

I've never been a super-energetic person, but I'm not usually torpid.
Can it really have been that infected tooth? I keep marveling.
I'm thinking yes.
Weird.

Anyway, I'm enjoying feeling more zestful.

5 comments:

  1. Yes it could...been there...

    I bet they marked the skin with a small cookie cutter first!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks GZ, for both things--confirming my experience with infection,
    and for the tip of the cookie cutter--smart!
    That would do it--if they were sharp tin, maybe you could press them all the way through the orange skin, or nearly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little orange peel stars, i would try that with tangerines i think, thinner skin and brighter color! I am so glad you got your mojo back! A body can not fight infection without taking a toll. Yay YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do pot roast in winter, but it is summer here, so my Christmas lunch will be chicken schnitzel, but this year I chose a herb and garlic crumb coating, so it will be almost like roast chicken and stuffing. I made a big batch this morning and they are in my freezer now.
    I love the orange stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the orange stars. I was also going to suggest they used a cookie cutter. I often peel off my orange rind in big chunks, or sometimes whole, so think these would be very easy to make.

    ReplyDelete