Sunday, October 4, 2020

"Resistance can take many forms."

Some Nice Things. . .

Now I have my laptop back, I will do some catch-up.

First, let me say, I got to the post office yesterday and mailed off all the remaining calendars. Media mail--they should arrive within a week.
Please let me know if you don't get yours--I have the PO tracking numbers.

Marz texted this morning from Colorado--after driving two full days, she's four hours from Albuquerque. The goat farmer will pick her up there, and then it's another four hours to the farm--off the grid in the hills.

I'm eager to get her report on––among other things-–what it's like to live with composting toilets.
One of my personal successes this year is making and using cloth toilet wipes (for pee).
I use them like paper towels too, to wipe up spills.
"Making" them involves cutting up some old T-shirts or other soft cloth. No need to hem them or anything.
 I wash them in the washing machine on hot. Easy.

Speaking of personal favorites--people turned a Metro Bus Stop into a Metro Library at the George Floyd Memorial Site (links to NYT article). It's tended to--I spent a few minutes straightening the shelves.


Many stuffed animals pay their respects:

 
A couple weeks ago, I biked past this quartet in the park on my way to work, about 10 a.m.:

For Crow: Marz and girlette Tanya Barry with crow sculptures at Big Stone Mini-Golf:

 
Following Toy Photography on Instagram, I found this great photo--do you recognize the bike (if not, I'll say in the comments)––by an artist of miniatures, instagram.com/tanaka_tatsuya:
These Dream Pet reindeer (1960s, made in Japan) donated to the thrift store are going to be part of the girlettes' Christmas card this year. We are patiently waiting for it to snow...

"Resistance can take many forms...

The goats always need milking. Things always, always need doing with hands, with bodies, in the physical realm."
--from Elisa Albert's introduction  to The Farm in the Green Mountains, Alice Herdan-Zuckmayer (1949, NYRB classics 2017).

AH-Z and her family were refugees from Nazi Germany--she wrote this memoir of being first-time farmers (in Vermont) after the war.

One of my intentions for this winter's resistance: SEND PAPER MAIL. The mailbox outside DreamHaven Books briefly carried this message last month:


Write to me?

10 comments:

Fresca said...

The mini-bike is an eyelash curler.

Steve Reed said...

Oh, I was going to guess scissors! But yeah, I see it now. :)

Love the message on the post box! I love those reindeer, too. As for the George Floyd corner, it's great that something positive has blossomed on that tragic location.

Linda Sue said...

I still can not think of George Floyd without sobbing. Never will be able to.

The curler is brilliant! as are the reindeer, The girlettes should have them as pets to take care of with straw and reindeer games. Awesome mailbox. and sign, "No justice No peace"
The election will be everything, won't it.

Of course you would straighten and arrange the books! It is what you do in this life, straighten, arrange, organize and make peace. XO

Anonymous said...

Yes! Marz is almost there! It will be fun to hear about her adventures.

Why is it that those of us who love books are always wanting to straighten them or put them in order? But the idea of the Metro stop be turned into a Metro Library is outstanding and an honorable remembrance.

Paper mail is a great thing! Perhaps to use some of that vintage stationary.....

Kirsten

Sarah said...

I love the extract from Elisa Albert. It is a more positive spin on something I read this morning about society collapsing and how it isn't a big dramatic event but a series of cumulative events during which most people just carry on with their lives in between. This has a more practical and realistic feel in that we can all do our part whilst doing the needful things. I will write to you. I have things to send you from the girlettes and I. When I find those things! There has been a lot of domestic upheaval recently so finding things is becoming a bit of a challenge!

gz said...

Love that small library!
We must write! I am remiss, I have managed to keep blogging but not on paper.

River said...

Love the street library. The Reindeer are too cute :)

G Moran said...

Hi! I'm a librarian teaching a class at Macalester College this summer on alternative libraries and infoshops, and I was wondering if I could use your photo of the George Floyd bus stop library in my course promotion materials? Thanks!

Fresca said...

G MORAN: Sure, you can use the library bus stop photo--cool! You may know, that George Floyd free library isn't there any more (due to weather conditions, I presume, but I don't know).
If you want to email me at frescadp (gmail), I could send you the larger pic--otherwise yank it from here.

G Moran said...

Thanks! I appreciate it. Yeah, I know it's gone (for now; maybe it will return?).