Monday, October 5, 2020

African Peanut Stew

 I'm making African Peanut Stew (in my favorite pan). 

The basics are: coconut milk, sweet potatoes, ginger & garlic, and ground peanuts ("butter") (I use fresh ground, from the co-op, because I like to push the button on the grinder and see the stuff extrude)

After that, you can substitute w/ whatever you like in your fridge / garden.

African Peanut Stew 

RECIPE goes something like this

Sauté:
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
A 3-inch piece of ginger, grated
6 garlic cloves
 
Add to pot:
3 cups stock, or water
1 can coconut milk
A couple few sweet potatoes (I precooked mine in the microwave)
tomatoes, chopped—however many you have
garbanzo beans (or what have you in the way of protein)
bunch o’ greens
 
Cook 20 minutes or so.

Stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne
salt and black pepper
 
garnish with chopped cilantro, if you've got it.

I'm eating it on brown rice.

4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

i worked at a cafe where African Peanut soup was always soup of the day! Scrumptious, yours sound even better! Spicy, p-nutty, perfect winter soup and i do love your favorite soup pan!

Fresca said...

LINDA SUE: What café was that? I used to work at a collectively run community café here in 1980, where I learned a lot of what I know about food.
But not peanut soup.
This is a good one.

bink said...

Yum-yum!

Too bad I didn't see this recipe before I went to the store today! It's almost inspires my currently non-existent cooking gene.

Steve Reed said...

One of the Moosewood cookbooks has a great recipe for "West African Groundnut Stew" -- very similar to this. I used to love making it. I should find it and make it again!