Wednesday, September 16, 2020

"The goats are calling and I must go."

 Marz came to Doll Costume Day for a while. She has lifted her ban on appearing on social media, at least partially.

Partially.... and temporarily:
She's given notice at her job at the co-op, given up her apartment, and signed on to work at a goat farm in New Mexico for the winter!
They have internet and phone service, but you have to climb a hill and wave your device in the air or something.

This high-desert landscape looks like her.

And, look! Kids in the kitchen:

The farm is part of the WWOOFing scheme--World-Wide Organization of Organic Farms. They provide bed and board  for people who come help on the farm. Marz will have her own little, wood-heated cabin.

I'm nothing but thrilled for her!
Marz is the sort of person who could sit in the same room for years and lead an interesting life. But
she's been here nine years, and it's time for a new adventure.

For myself, I am inspired that she is heading off. It's a big world:
Go out! Go out!

I'm also a little... hm, uncertain about how my life will go without her nearby. 
She's good to have around, like a magpie, gathering things that glint; like a garden worm, aerating the soil; like a bee, disseminating pollen--and all as she goes about her daily business... 

I always say, she is like the sun flashing off the brass of a marching band.


March on!

___________________________

P.S.  From an 1873 letter from naturalist John Muir to his sister:

“The mountains are calling & I must go & I will work on while I can, studying incessantly.”

6 comments:

  1. Please tell Marz that I wish her the best of luck! The goat farm sounds so interesting and could be a lot of fun.

    The Girlettes and their costumes! I think I need to add more Girlette fun to my life!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marz's adventure , I would be her companion if i was a younger person! That sounds like a dream life!
    The girlettes look amazing in their attire. Ready for treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Marz will inspire you to have your own new adventure? That sounds like a great experience in New Mexico! I love the picture of the goats, though it's probably a lot more appealing not having to SMELL them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fare forward, Marz.

    Go out = goat, almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire those who go WWOOFING around the world, the do so much good and learn so much too.
    Love the doll costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everybody! I will pass your greetings and good wishes on to Marz.

    I myself am finding plenty of adventure right where I am! (But I do enjoy a vicarious goat...)

    ReplyDelete