Thursday, August 27, 2020

Three Objects, x 2

 I've been doing some time in housewares. It's so fun to spot an occasional cool object among the sticky plastic junk.



I love the vintage vase, but it isn't super special. We get a lot of mid-century pottery. It's  stamped U.S.A.--looks like Haeger or Red Wing. Priced at 13.

The enameled teardrop is Reed & Barton silver-plate, designed by metal smith John Prip,  late '40s--early '50s. (Priced at 18)


I was specially pleased to have spotted the tea kettle.  It was dirty, and I thought about putting it in metal recycling. But design stands out. 
I looked it up.
It's made in England by Simplex, "famous for fine tea kettles since 1903".

New, they go for $350 from Williams Sonoma.
I priced it at 39.


Here are three things being bought by a customer who always ferrets out the coolest stuff.
The blue vase is a Haeger. I think it was 5.

An enamel pot made in Poland, and a classic Thermos bottle.
P.S. I woke up at 1040ish p.m. to my phone claxon announcing a curfew.  They mayor called out the State National Guard to quell riots when a shooter's suicide as the police approached him was mistaken for another police killing.

If only the police were trustworthy and such a thing were unthinkable rather than a darn good assumption.


Seems quiet today...

6 comments:

  1. Your store does get the coolest stuff!

    I had to laugh about the sticky plastic junk comment. It always cracks me up to see glass food jars for sale that could have been recycled, or Glad plastic containers that aren't destined for long use, or plastic containers that have food stains.


    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. KIRSTEN: That's it exactly---I cull the shelves every so often and am always exclaiming things like, "WHY did someone put this empty peanut-butter jar out?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it stays quiet! Some of my old friends collect mid-century pottery, and we had the best time scouring thrift stores for cool finds. We always hit housewares before any other section of the store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that kettle!
    Keep those glass food jars on the shelf..us home preservers need them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad would have snagged onto that red enamel fast as a duck on a Junebug, then carried it all around the store to checkout, and mom would have said "Well, OK, John". I like the kettle, and don't drink tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the vase (jug) in the top picture and the kettle too. I must make an effort soon and get out to the best secondhand shops I know, to see what they may have. I love a good rummage.

    ReplyDelete