Sunday, August 30, 2020

Best foot forward

I'm very contented by yesterday's Indie Bookstore Day sale. Seventy-one books sold--about a quarter more than usual. So that's gratifying. Even nicer, I had good chats with several people shopping in BOOK's--including a regular who's always been rather sour.

Sour Shopper started off her relationship with me two years ago by accusing me, since I had shelved a mystery book in the fiction section, of knowing "nothing about mysteries".

I had to laugh, it was so ludicrous. I admitted that, indeed, I don't read mysteries and might occasionally mistake them for fiction. 


(It matters because our mystery books cost 49¢ each, while regular fiction is 99¢, but still...)

 "If you see one out of place," I said, "I'd appreciate if you put it in the right section."

Since then, she does occasionally point out a misshelved book, but in a friendly way.
Yesterday I was talking about how I get the joy of running something like an indie bookstore, but without the hassle of being a proprietor.

"Yes," she said. "I used to work 90 hours a week when I owned a bookstore in London in the eighties."

WHAT?

Her store stocked only specialty technical books, but still.
Talk about burying your lede! 

It's astonishing how humans are not always our own best advocates.

Rescue Bunny

Not book-related, but also satisfying: 
yesterday I secured a stuffed bunny for Kirsten, who's been looking in thrift stores for a SNARP (Stuffed Needy Animal Rescue Project).
Lots of thrift stores throw out damaged plushies. Goodwill throws out ALL stuffed animals, for sanitary reasons.


This damaged sweetie would never have made it. Isn't it a plucky bunny?
It leans into life.



Bunny's head is stuffed with excelsior (shaved wood)--a stiff material that keeps its shape, but it's so hard, it's difficult to replace.
Maybe Bunny doesn't need restuffing, just a gentle brushing, a few stitches, and a patch or two.


I'd have kept bunny myself but would rather re-home him as I have too many waiting for repairs.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder which bookshop she ran?
    Love the lean on the bunny 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the rabbit! How could anyone give it away to a charity shop? It must have stories to tell.
    You are a saint! Not the religious kind who bleeds from their eyes, but the good hearted kind. LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, fresca, for the reminder that everyone has a story. I needed that this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely just a few stitches and a patch or two, they'll add character and he'll be a happy bunny again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surely the point of a mystery is that we know nothing about it-hence the name! The bunny is lovely and lucky to have been rescued for love and repair.

    ReplyDelete