Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sci-Fi Book Haul

I bike home every workday past DreamHaven, an independent bookseller specializing "in new and used science fiction, fantasy, horror, film and media books, comics, and graphic novels".
Protestors/looters broke into and damaged the store in the aftermath of George Floyd's murder, but it's cleaned up and running again now.

People also burned down Uncle Hugo's––the country's oldest sci-fi bookstore
This just kills me. I went there when I first moved to town at nineteen, looking for Star Trek books. It was an overstuffed heaven of books, so many they were piled on the floor. It was only a few blocks from the thrift store. 

Anyway, DreamHaven had set up tables outside yesterday, for an
Indie Bookstore Day BAG SALE: fill a grocery bag of books for $15.

I stopped as they were just about to close. They said to take my time, and I quickly I stuffed a bag with 42 sci-fi pulp paperbacks (= 28¢ each).
They're mostly from the 1950s and '60s, the era with the best cover art, imho.

I'll keep just a couple with the best covers covers. 
The rest I'll give to the thrift store. We never get much sci-fi, and people do ask for it. 
(I posit that people who buy sci-fi are akin to collectors--they KEEP their stuff!)

I'm not sure these vintage pulps are what people want. I'll set up a display and see if they sell.
Here are most of them.

How bout this collage!?!


Rockets and space- and moon-scapes are my favorite though.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some great book covers! I especially like your two favs and Point Ultimate; Invaders from Rigel; New Tales of Space and Time: Twin Planets; Year of Consent; The Mind behind the Eye; and Possible Worlds...

    That's a real score! Some even look worth reading! I your book patrons appreciate what you got for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The covers are great, but none of the books are what I would want to read. I used to watch Dr Who and Star Trek, and I have seen all the Star Wars movies, that's about as Sci-fi as I get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are FANTASTIC! James Blish used to write the Star Trek novelizations, didn't he? I remember reading those when I was in high school. I love the cover for "Citizen in Space" -- very abstract -- and yeah, "Mission to the Stars" is a great one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably buy them for the covers alone!

    ReplyDelete