Wednesday, June 10, 2020

"Don't worry, it might never happen."

"Don't worry, it might never happen." 
This phrase can be condescending, often accompanied by an order to smile;
or, it can be a genuine, helpful reminder.

At my job, I should always call it to mind in the latter sense.
Today, the dreaded discussion of race never happened! 

This morning, Big Boss and I discussed the lists of "Things White People Can Do" that I'd emailed him.

He's especially unhappy with the churches' lack of response, and I always love discussing scripture with him. This is like the Good Samaritan, he said. It's not enough to wear a button, you've got to SHOW UP to help your neighbor.

Hear, hear.


But then, mid-afternoon, he left for the day without mentioning the meeting to discuss race with the other coworkers he'd requested yesterday.

I'm more than happy the meeting didn't happen--I'd already turned in my homework (because I AM THE LIBRARIAN).
 . . . 

Meanwhile, the store getting broken into is a weird boon: 
 we are cleaning and rearranging and repainting the closed store.
When we reopen (July 1? maybe), the store is going to be better!

Me painting bookshelves:

BELOW: "Lead Cashier" has been cleaning the cashier station---those display cases were smashed, and the area was covered in broken glass and strewn with jewelry.
"I am literally walking on pearls," she said.

Me with Lead Cashier:

Okay, so... this, below, is a boring photo I suppose, but to me it's an exciting development: 
You're facing toward my BOOK'S. The black shelves were moved from the opposite wall, across the room, where customers had to climb over couches to reach the electronics these shelves hold. 

BONUS: You can now see the exposed brick wall.
White people (like me) will love it!!!


Today a couple coworkers and I were messing around, putting on a long blonde wig and playing air guitar.
Aw, man, I hate my rule about not posting people's photos without their permission. I can only show you me.

BONUS: The people who messed up my desk looking for valuables did not take my toys! You can see Flying Tiger and others behind me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad your toys -- your own little personal corner of the store -- survived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: Amazing they weren't taken, they are THE BEST!!!
    I suspect they donned an invisibility cloak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! The wig!

    Love the new shelves/brick wall! Your store is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete