Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Sing out!

I'm pleased and proud––and a bit surprised––that this morning I managed to twine two strands of the SVDP cause to put on social media:
delight in material things + the social mission to build a more just world.


(Delight in material things implicitly includes environmentalism: 
to be good stewards of things, we re-imagine ("reduce, reuse, recycle")  them. Sometimes I say that explicitly too--so really there are three strands to braid together...) 

Yesterday, Monday, I'd photographed this donated embroidered dish towel to post today, not even realizing it's precinct caucuses tonight. (We have a presidential primary for the first time this year too––next Tuesday––so this year the caucuses don't choose the presidential candidate.)
What I posted on IG:


It truly is the official policy of the Society of SVDP to encourage everyone to advocate for a more just world, including voting in political elections.

I never want to state anything on the SVDP social media that is my personal opinion alone, so I researched my statement and linked to a source, SVDP's "Voice of the Poor" Guide:
Mission Statement–– National Voice of the Poor Committee

The Voice of the Poor Committee’s mission is to uphold Catholic social teaching by researching, validating, documenting, advocating, and promulgating issues related to the condition of the poor and disenfranchised.
(This is done in the vision of St. Vincent de Paul and Blessed Frederic Ozanam to help Vincentians live their faith and grow spiritually by acting knowledgeably and credibly as a unified body.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment