Monday, February 24, 2020

Thank you for answering my question.

I love when blog friends provide answers!
Thank you, Jeff S., for telling me that the cover of Goodbye to All That is the painting The Menin Road, (1919) by Paul Nash.


(Like the Spencer painting from WWI I'd posted, you can see it in close up at the Imperial War Museum site.)

And Michael confirmed that the ending of The Bookshop looks to the future, which the book does not.
Still, I, the reader, can't help but know the future did get better in the real world (if not in the story world) because the author, Penelope Fitzgerald, based The Bookshop on her own experience, and she went on to write the book.

2 comments:

  1. That is certainly an arresting painting, particularly when seen in its original colors (as opposed to the faded book cover).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it's quite large too-- 182.8 cm × 317.5 cm (72 in × 125 in).
    Have you been to the IWM in London, Steve?

    Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete