Tuesday, January 28, 2020

"Perhaps the skin on the backs of his hands..."

Two Writers' Hands

On page 2 of The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards:
"Her hands were slender, her fingers short and sturdy, and she bit her bottom lip lightly, intently, as she read."
I could not stand to keep reading a book with such nonsensical and/or clichéd descriptions. I flipped 398 pages to the last page.
Here's the next-to-last sentence:
"Paul noticed how short and clipped her fingernails were, how delicate her hands looked ..."
Yep. I put it down.

Then I picked up Fahrenheit 451. On the third page, I read:
"The last few nights he had had the most uncertain feelings about the sidewalk just around the corner here, moving in the starlight toward his house. He had felt that a moment prior to his making the turn someone had been there.
. . . Perhaps the skin on the backs of his hands, on his face, felt the temperature rise at this one spot where a person's standing might raise the immediate atmosphere ten degrees for an instant."
I have never read such a description (except when I read this book in high school, which I don't remember). Walking into the ghost heat of a person. And the character is a fireman.

I will follow you to the end of this book, Ray Bradbury. 

4 comments:

  1. Ray Bradbury is an excellent writer, but I must admit, "Fahrenheit 451" has never been one of my favorites. I much prefer the sci-fi space stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searching the Edwards book with Amazon’s Look Inside. There are a great many hands, most of which seem to be small. My eye caught this:

    "What about your hands?" he shouted, his voice ringing, cascading like the water. "You didn't bring any gloves."

    Ringing? Cascading? He said four one-syllable words.

    Four million copies sold — sheesh. That's a lot of hands, and a lot of cash registers ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of how weird that would look: short, sturdy, fingers with slender hands. At total mismatch or mishmash--right away, I don't believe in those hands; so how does the author expect you to believe in his story?

    ReplyDelete
  4. STEVE: I loved Bradbury in high school--haven't read him much since but would far rather read him than Heinlein!
    Sadly, the ideas of Fahrenheit 451 are spookily relevant today--replace thinking with "positive thinking".

    MICHAEL: I LOVE that you looked that up! What writerly fetish is this? Whatever it is, it's written about in such a plodding way.

    BINK: Right? I thought so too--slender palms, with stubby protrusions?
    Ha!
    And again, right--if we can't believe in that, how can we enter into the story?

    Like my example a while ago of the spy who didn't know to take off his wet shoes so as not to leave footprints.
    Ya lost me there, buddy.

    ReplyDelete