Thursday, January 30, 2020

Butter-Yellow Shoes & Moon River

My thrift store Instagram round up.

Top Row, Left to Right

1. Vox Humana reed stop on a pump organ 

2. Those butter-yellow shoes are my favorite! "Socialites" brand, from the early The Mary Tyler Moore Show era (1970), I think.
Mary Richards, the show's main character, lived in Minneapolis, you know, and the shoes have a sticker from Dayton's, the big department store downtown featured in the show's opening (it's where she throws her hat in the air).

3. I don't care about the Cabbage Patch doll---the toy lady asked me to post it, with its adoption papers.
Bottom Row

4. Handmade bookmark for a manga, Soul Eater, found in a fantasy book. I usually save the interesting ephemera I find in books.

5. Heh. I set this up for Art Sparker, who recommends Ernest Becker's Denial of Death. We get lots of books about happiness--feels sort of frenetic. 

6. The best thing about this 1965 Man from U.N.C.L.E. is that the owner cut out the order form on the last page, thus removing the text on the back, which describes a seduction scene.
So she (I assume it's a she) copied out the paragraphs onto the inside back cover:

 "Solo selected a Henry Mancini LP and placed it on the turntable. Slowly it began to give (?) softly with MOON RIVER."

5 comments:

  1. I read several of those U.N.C.L.E. books in youth. I remember the bookstore owner assuring my mom that the books were appropriate for readers my age (I might have been ten). Mancini? “Moon River”? Maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the reader valued the book enough to hand write the ending back in...I'm guessing (based on the handwriting) that someone was about 12... and probably a romantic girl. If I remember correctly the TV version of Solo was a big crush among teens/pre-teens back then.

    What I draw the line at loving is Cabbage Patch Dolls! They have always gotten under my skin as so creepy! Do people still really pay money for these and collect these? Or are they like Beanie Babies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yellow shoes! MTM was one of my favorite shows and remember that it was shown on Saturday night either before or after The Bob Newhart Show.

    Never did care for the Cabbage Patch Dolls although how they came into existence is an interesting story. They were originally soft sculpture dolls created by Xavier Roberts. I do remember a co-worker trying to find one for her daughter one year for Christmas.

    Ilya Kuraykin was my favorite!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the MTM shoes! And yes, it's amazing that someone took the time to recopy the book text onto the inside of the back cover. Thinking of future readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MICHAEL! I'm impressed you read Man from UNCLE books! I didn't think boys wouldn't, but as bink says, the handwriting looks like a girl's.

    Your mother might be glad to know that MOON RIVER is interrupted by a phone call for Solo, who has to head out on a new mission!
    So, the bookseller was right--no seduction...

    BINK: I remember Ilya Kuraykin being the hottie, not Napoleon Solo.
    At least that was my preference!

    You are right--Cabbage Patch dolls are like Beanie Babies--we get lost, and they don't sell for much. Fifty cents for Beanies, a couple/few bucks for Cabbages. This one has adoption papers so Nancy priced it at $50, but I very much doubt it'll sell for that.

    KIRSTEN: Yes!!! BEFORE the Bob Newhart Show--I remember because I didn't like him and would often go to my room for the rest of the night. NOW I understand his low-key weird appeal, but as a kid, to me he was just boring.

    Thanks for the info on the origins of those dolls.

    STEVE: Aren't those shoes awesome? I'm so glad I spotted them--my boss said he'd have put them in recycling!!!
    Aaaaargh.... I'm always rescuing super cool vintage stuff from the trash.
    The shoes sold right away online, and I'm sure someone would have snatched them up in the store too.

    Such a fannish impulse to not destroy the Sacred Text! :)

    ReplyDelete