Monday, January 27, 2020

Movie Round Up

I'm substitute-cashiering today for a sick coworker. I'm happy to stay in touch with the customers and the front-end, but I haven't cashiered in about three months and am not sure I remember all the register buttons...
Luckily it's not like Goodwill where the management is breathing down your neck. If I mess up, it's no big deal.


I've gone to see a few films lately--I'll do a quick write up...
 [Whoops--turns out I only had time to write about two before going to take the bus.]

1917

Reviewers who rave about how visually unique it is ––(it's like one long, ongoing shot)––have never watched a first-person-shooter video game.

You follow the hero (likable) as he traverses a war-torn landscape [like in a video game, things pop out at him, he goes through doors and openings and down tunnels and finds stuff] on a mission to reach a battalion by daylight, or the soldiers will be slaughtered in battle.

Not bad, but predictable. If you are young and haven't seen any war movies (Gallipoli, or Saving Private Ryan), it's a decent one.

I hated the Hollywood soundtrack--it lessens the impact. Makes it seem even fakier. (The filming is realistic, but still, I felt it was made up. Based on real events, but, you know, Hollywoodified. )

Harriet

Ditto the standard orchestral movie soundtrack. (Except when Nina Simone's "Sinnerman" bursts forth--making me wonder if that was the only original music they could afford.)  

Hollywood scores are emotionally manipulative, and the story here is so strong: the movie could have (should have, I think) relied on ambient sound, including the characters singing, which they do--Go Down Moses, Wade in the Water, etc.

I went because I'd heard the actor who plays Harriet Tubman-- Cynthia Erivo-- was terrific. She was. Not, it turns out, unexpectedly though: her background is in theater--she won a Tony for playing Celie in The Color Purple on Broadway.

Anyway, even though it's a standard Hollywood fare, it's an astonishing story, and not one I’ve seen a hundred times, unlike the nice-boy-in-a-hellscape). I'm glad I saw it.
Recommended for that, not for the movie-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment