Monday, December 9, 2019

Advent #2

 Yesterday afternoon, bink, Mz, & I went to see Ninotchka (1939, Greta Garbo) at the nearby micro-cinema, which is having a Ernst Lubitsch film fest--culminating with The Shop Around the Corner on Christmas Day, which I haven't seen in many, many years.
Last Sunday was To Be or Not to Be (1942), a comedy about World War II made during WWII. Fascinating. It sort of reminded me of The Producers (1967)--I wonder how much Mel Brooks was inspired by it...

The first half of Ninotchka was great--Garbo throwing zingers as a strict Soviet emissary. I could have skipped the second half--once she falls in love in Paris, who cares?

We came back to my place for a bonfire, this second Sunday of Advent, with HouseMate. Only a few of the girlettes could be bothered, but my friend Julia came over for the first time.
I made a vegetarian Indian meal:
potato-apple-coconut milk curry, and bell peppers and kale stir fry, with lentil dal, and rice. 

I've been eating way more meat, and way more food in general, than I like, in the past few months since I moved. A big pile of greens is so welcome.

Today I am writing up a Social Media Plan for the store. 
I don't know why Big Boss wants such a thing all of a sudden, after declaring he wants "no written policies" in the spring. Maybe he's working off some hidden agenda. He doesn't tell me half what's going on.
It's a great idea. I'd written up a preliminary plan a year ago... which he'd ignored. It's not worth finding again--now I've been at the store longer, I see it differently: 
much more about building community and serving needs, and much less about trying to entice shoppers for vintage items. 

Researching thrift store marketing, I read that poor shoppers will go to thrift stores all over town, but richer shoppers won't go into poor neighborhoods. 
I can see it's not appealing to middle-class shoppers to shop somewhere where people shoot up in the parking lot.
Nor is it appealing to poor people, of course, but if they live there, that's the way it is.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you get to revisit your social marketing plan. Richer shoppers probably decline to go to poorer neighborhoods not only because they're less appealing, but because the shoppers don't think the thrift stores there would have any good stuff. Which I'm sure is NOT true, especially since some thrift chains do their sorting at a central location and then farm the stuff out to stores all over town.

    ReplyDelete