Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Should I stay or should I go?

After three months cashiering, I'm still spending too much a time frustrated with (and blogging about) my workplace.

Cashiering puts me in the line of fire more often, and I don't like that, but it's not the customers. I'd expected them to be challenging, but I've had no serious problems with them. 
A lot of them are regulars and generally pleasant. The troublemakers don't bother me as much as I'd expected. I mostly shrug and say, sure, they can have a discount, or whatever they want. They're usually poor. 

We could handle a lot more customers--we have the stock and the time--but honestly, unless we clean the bathrooms and improve customer service (ohgod), I'd hesitate to advertise more.  Though except for what I do on Facebook, the store doesn't advertise anyway.

Blah, blah, blah.
The unexpected upshot of this is that cashiering is pretty boring, and the increased contact with the management (dys-management!) is irritating.

Should I quit cashiering, and go back to doing the BOOK's 20 hrs/week?
It's been good to have the extra money, but working for minimum wage, 12 hours/week doesn't add up to much.

I feel lonely there. Everyone's OK, but there's no one I seek out to talk to.
Must think more about options...
 


4 comments:

gz said...

You need to talk, to fire up your brain!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy. Not having someone to talk to at a job can be difficult and as gz says, talking fires up your brain.

Maybe just books .......

Kirsten

Steve Reed said...

Hmmmm...if you enjoy the books more, I'd go back to that. At least the reading -- even just reading covers and book flaps -- is stimulating! Or maybe you need a bigger change altogether?

Fresca said...

Thank you, all!
It helps that you all say the same thing as some other friends.

I don't know if I'll need a bigger change, as Steve wonders. I'm practically running a little bookstore, so it's pretty satisfying, if I can stay under the management's radar.