Tuesday, October 8, 2019

3333 Posts, Twelve Years

No significance to this being post #3,333––I  noted the nifty number this morning, then realized yesterday was l'astronave's twelfth birthday! Born October 7, 2007.

I don't think of my blog by its name––"starship" in Italian––I think of it as "my blog". Or even as gugeo--its url name--short for "guerrilla geography", a name that was already taken when I started this blog, a name I wanted because I was tired of writing geography books for middle school libraries at the time, and wanted to go a bit rogue.

I didn't though––go rogue––I still write as if I'm an editor who has to footnote everything I say.
I like that, mostly. It can slow me down, but when I read wrong "facts", I wonder, why didn't someone fact check this? 
I remember when it was hard to look stuff up--you had to go to the library--but now it's the work of seconds to google it.

I'm not too picky about casual writing (like emails), but published?
The other day I started reading a Dean Koontz novel on the rec of a customer, and I stopped after DK describes his hero––a man who supposedly knows spy tactics––as "unavoidably" leaving wet footprints on a carpet.

Unavoidably?
Wouldn't a spy know to take his wet shoes off, if he wanted to avoid leaving footprints?

Cranking this stuff out top speed, are we, Mr. Koontz?

I put genre books like Koontz's out for .49 each at work. People buy them in piles. I get the appeal--it's like eating candy--doesn't have to be great--but I don't enjoy it. 

I cashier from 10 to 2 today. I just took my CBD in preparation. Yesterday I didn't take it, and I felt super annoyed at the store. I was muttering to myself, "Why am I putting up with this for minimum wage?"

Just the usual, relentless mismanagement. 
For instance, someone accepted a load of books that had been stored in a basement. You could see the mildew on them, and you could smell the odor from a couple feet away,
though the worker who is, of course, entirely untrained, said he couldn't smell it.

 I hate to handle books with mold and mildew--even carrying them  as far as the Dumpster--it can infect your lungs...
Oh, well. Other than that, my life is going well. House sitting is nice--far from feeling displaced, I like being in such familiar surroundings after one month in a new and foreign neighborhood. 

My new homeowner messaged me a photo of the three girlettes I left there. "They are waiting for you," she said.
Jayne, Bubblepop, and Opal

5 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Happy twelfth birthday, Fresca! Twelve years of blogging is nothing to sneeze it.

Steve Reed said...

I like an occasional page-turner, potboiler, pulp novel, whatever you might call it. But I can't read them more than occasionally. Things like that Koontz issue you found always bug me!

Happy blogaversary! I didn't realize you wrote geography books! I love geography. It's one of my best trivia categories.

deanna said...

Congratulations on twelve years! I'm grateful you have been around. :) I also appreciate your thoroughness with everything and can see it's a part of your literary makeup. Not having that sort of energy, I try to write what I feel confident I know, or just something from me. Yet if I go further afield in factual details, I can't help but think that you will notice if it's off, and I'm compelled to check things out when possible. So you are a helpful example for me in the online universe!

Fresca said...

MICHAEL. Thanks! "Nothing to sneeze at"... Is that a reference to something? Nancy?

STEVE: I do like an occasional page-turner too. I like Kate Atkinson's mysteries, for instance, with her detective Jackson Brodie. I don't think I've ever caught a stupid mistake in them...

I wrote--or "compiled", rather, 18 books in the "visual geography series"---the sort of books kids use (or used to use) to write school reports about a country.
It wasn't exactly "writing"--more like compiling fact and spinning statistics/demographics/charts into prose. I LOVED researching the countries.
And, yeah, pretty useful for Trivia Night.

DEANNA: Oh dear. I hope I don't loom over your writing like a sour blog monster!!!
I mostly want to write from my own perspective too--and not like a reporter.
Your writing encourages me!

deanna said...

No, you don't loom, but you do encourage by example. It's nice to know I sometimes encourage you!