Monday, May 13, 2019

Reading in Bed, Bear Version

This is Bed Bear, who lives in the bed.
The other day I came home to see this bear engrossed in the copy of A Tale of Two Cities I'm reading.

Has Bed Bear been reading all along, or is there something about this particular book?
Are there bears in it, unbeknownst to me?

Or is it that Penny Cooper has been parading around as Sydney Carton, ever since she got a ride in a tumbril on Easter?*

I simply don't know.

I can't usually stand Charles Dickens and his drippy sentimentality, but Two Cities is fascinating so far.
I read it once, more than forty years ago. I only remember the opening and ending lines ("It was the best of times, it was the worst of times/It is a far, far better thing that I do....").

The book has all of Dickens's shortcomings––unbelievably angelic females, overly colorful side-characters (I skim those parts, I find them so distasteful)––but it's fascinating because Dickens is writing about the French Revolution some 70 years after it took place--about the same distance in time we are from World War II.
The political picture is gripping––I don't think I understood it when I was a teenager.

*P.S. Penny Cooper also says she wants to enter the US presidential race--she is lobbying for the procurement of signs:
PENNY COOPER 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment