Friday, March 1, 2019

The New Orphan Reds

The new little reds are settling in well, I'm glad to say:
I'd thought I might be overwhelmed by two new characters, like I was when three new dolls came at once, but it seems the ecosystem here can absorb two. 


These Orphans come from the streets of Las Vegas, so they say, and their love of glitzy things, like their costumes here, seems to reflect that.
Here they are discussing their new circumstances yesterday evening on the couch. They look pleased, don't they?
(The Sinclair Dinos keep guard.)




The one on the left is Orange (full name, Orange Colored Sky).
The one on the right, in gold lamé, keeps changing her name. She started out as Lulu LaFlame, but she revealed that that's a joke name.

Their collective name comes from the TV sci-fi series Orphan Black, which is about a woman who discovers she's a clone.
 I thought there were only nine or so clones (each quite different, all played by Tatiana Maslany)––but it turns out there are 274.
Maybe I need to collect them all.

I stopped watching Orphan Black after the excellent first season, but reading this article in Vanity Fair "What We're Really Losing When We Lose Orphan Black" makes me think I'll watch the rest of the five seasons. 

The article says, "Individually, the women of Orphan Black are intriguing; together, they’re a force. Maslany’s performances have settled into an effortless grace that has allowed her to explore new facets of each character."

And then---how 'bout this quote from the article for a pathetic reflection of how stories about women are viewed?

"You don’t have to be female to take something from Orphan Black. The human condition is one we all share, and issues of morality and justice—not to mention how these concepts can coexist peacefully in the face of scientific and biological advancement—are universal and prescient. "
Do we still need to be reminded, "The human condition is one we all share"?
In fact, yes, I think we do.


Anyway, there are FIVE main Orphan Blacks---that's the number I'm at now with the little reds. Maybe that's ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment