Friday, March 1, 2019

Fallout Shelter

I noticed this Fallout Shelter sign on a cool building (before our record snowfall--that overhang is now covered in a couple feet of snow). 
I remember those signs from my childhood––and I wondered, do we still have fallout shelters?


A quick search turned up many links to the video game "Fallout Shelter". 

I'm not too worried one way or another:
according to this map from 1990 (before the USSR dissolved), shelters would be pretty useless if anyone nuked the Twin Cities.
We're in the Yellow Area: "few survivors".
I started to look for current info from the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI, founded in 2001 by former U.S. Senator Sam Nunn and philanthropist Ted Turner).

I got as far as reading their banner:
"We're in a race between cooperation and catastrophe. The threat is outpacing our response."
Yep, that's what I thought. I'm going to think about something else now.

No comments:

Post a Comment