Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Injured

Crumbs.
I have fallen victim to CMII: Classic Minnesota Ice Injury.
Yesterday biking around a curve on a hill, my bike slipped out from under me, and I pulled something in my inner thigh/groin.

It only hurts like a sonofabitch if I move my leg out to the side, even a fraction––like this Manhattan biker is doing:

It doesn't hurt if I don't move (which is nice), so I'm off my feet for a couple days, at least.
Watching Person of Interest last night, I was cringing:
anyone who actually got punched, kicked, and knocked around (and shot!) like the heroes of these stories would not be jumping around the next day.


Of course we know that, but being injured really brought it home.

Sense and the Machine

I've leapfrogged to Season 3, and POI has picked up the pace, but still... the show is just not that sharp. 
Unfair, I know, but compared to The Wire, which deals with similar issues (surveillance & law), it's actually stupid.

The writing is ludicrous, with lines such as,
"You're a good man, you just don't know it yet"

and, one suffering-in-silence hero to another, 
"Wouldn't it be nice to have a baby?"
Did they use the same screenwriters who wrote the Star Wars prequels? (I'm not even going to google that.)

Still, those set- & props designers keep coming through.
Harold Finch proposed to his girlfriend, Grace, [an unbelievable relationship] with an engagement ring in a hollowed out copy of Sense and Sensibility
Finch collects first editions, but notice this is a modern Penguin Classics copy.

Finch only knows Grace because his supercomputer "the Machine" had fingered her as an anomaly, for being (I kid you not) abnormally nice––

so she probably approves.
If it were me, I'd say, I'm not marrying you if you don't care enough to eviscerate Jane Austen for me. 

But here's the thing: 
I don't believe for a second that Harold Finch loves Grace romantically. He never even tells her his real name, or what he does. (It's complicated, but still. She doesn't KNOW him.)

Clearly, Finch's real love is his MIT college friend, Nathan Ingram. Finch keeps his picture in a book I'm sure Finch has much more interest in and affection for:  
The Ghost in the Machine, by Arthur Koestler.

If it were another show, I'd say it had to be intentional that Koestler (below, left) & Ingram (actor Brett Cullen) are mirror images.
A google search turns up nothing.

Why do I keep watching it?
Honestly, I just want to see the story arc of Detective Carter (Taraji Henson) play out. She's the closest thing to a real person in the show, and I like her, and I think she's super cute, and I gather that Mr Reese is going to cotton onto that too, . . . just before she dies.

Probably being hit in the head so often has made him slow witted.

7 comments:

gz said...

Sorry to hear that you have come off your bike..now get some physio!! The sooner the better or it will take longer to mend xx

ArtSparker said...

Ouch...Sorry to hear about your accident.

Frex said...

GZ: Thanks for your concern! You know better than I about biking injuries, I'm sure. I'm giving it a 48-hour rest (till tomorrow, that is), and then start p.t.

SPARKER: It was ouchy indeed! Glad to say it is just a tiny bit better this evening. (Whew.) Thanks for your sympathy.

Michael Leddy said...

Fresca, I hope you’re feeling better and getting around again soon.

Anonymous said...

Ouch is right! Do start gingerly moving around. I had read recently that the old adage of icing to reduce inflammation may not be helping and that moving was better.

I'm still on season 1 of POI. My library only bought season 1 --who does that? I find it an interesting show although some of the plots are what I have seen many times.


Kirsten

Steve Reed said...

Oh yikes! Take care of that injury! I think I might just skip POI.

Frex said...

KIRSTEN: I read the same thing (movement is better than ice) and have been cautiously moving--of course I have to move somewhat, living alone--but I'm going to add in some GENTLE stretches this afternoon.

POI has such an interesting premise, I'm glad I watched some of, but I guess it's just the nature of network TV that it goes on... and on... and recycles overly familiar plots!

STEVE: Thanks, I'm trying to be very careful!
Even though I liked some of POI, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. It does have a big fan base, so somebody loved it...

Frex = Fresca