Monday, March 18, 2019

Where We Are

Two magazines come through the mail slot on Saturdays:
Time
, for my home-owner neighbors, and the Economist for me.


Their covers this week were quite a doozy. I don't have anything to add, just thought I'd note this historic moment.

1. The Economist, with a frightened Britannia saying, "OH **UK! Whatever next?" about Brexit:
"WHEN HISTORIANS come to write the tale of Britain’s attempts to leave the European Union, this week may be seen as the moment the country finally grasped the mess it was in."

2. Time asks, "Do They Dare?" (referencing T.S. Eliot's "Do I dare to eat a peach?"--is that odd?) about what Time considers the likely impeachment of Donald Trump:
"Top Democrats don't want to say it, but the House will likely move to oust President Trump."

I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Raise Hell: The Life & Times of Molly Ivins, a documentary about the Texas reporter.
Regularly I wish I could read her wicked take on politics today.

^ Molly Ivins, known for her rapier wit, poses with a fencing sword in front of the Texas state capitol in Austin.

The Guardian writes, it "sends an urgent message from the Bush years to a nation under Trump with sharp humour.
...
A
fter Pat Buchanan delivered an infamous speech at the 1992 Republican convention, couching the struggle with Democrats in terms of a “cultural war”, columnist Molly Ivins wrote that it 'probably sounded better in the original German'.
She did not live to cover a Trump rally."

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Molly Ivins. I miss her. I once heard her speak at a convention and she was every bit as funny and pointed in person as on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Brexit...designed for and by the very rich....

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEVE: I envy you having seen her. It's so unfair she died young. WE NEED HER!

    GZ: And very short-sighted it was of them, too...

    ReplyDelete