Monday, April 23, 2018

The Three Graces of Spring



ABOVE: The dolls* play the Three Graces––
L to R: Penny Cooper as Aglaea, "Splendor", Red Hair Girl as Euphrosyne, "Mirth", and Spring Green as Thalia, "To Blossom"––
in their interpretation of the painting "Primavera" (Spring) by Sandro Botticelli, below.

*There are three dolls now. 
Red Hair Girl had chosen Penny Cooper to come live here, but then we (well, mostly me) felt bad for the doll who wasn't chosen. So she came too. Her name is Spring Green.

I worried three would be a crowd and kept Spring Green separate at first. Then bink suggested the dolls are like Orphan Black--a Canadian sci-fi TV show about a character who discovers she's a clone and has (at least) four sister clones––(all played by the wonderful Tatiana Maslany. I watched the first season and liked it a lot.)

In theory there could be two more Orphan Reds, but three is plenty for now--there're a lot of famous trios they can play.

Other toy re-creations of art: "toy tableaux".

4 comments:

The Crow said...

The story just keeps getting better and better! What fun!

Fresca said...

I agree---I have so much fun, I laugh out loud.
And also groan and wince a lot--you can imagine, getting the dolls to hold a position requires patience--
they are always messing around and won't hold still!

Bink said...

I’m sitting outside Vincinity, to get the WiFi, so I can see this. Great job! They nail it! It’s weird, to me, how their expressions seem to change depending on what they are doing. Here they seem all sweetness and light, but is other photos they seem tough as nails. I guess that just shows their acting chops!

Fresca said...

Thanks for the good comment, bink---
it's fascinating to me too how the emotions of the dolls change, depending on ... what?
A variety of things--posture, obviously, and activity--
but looking at toy photography, I see how other people use light to set mood.
But it's true, it's down to the Orphan Reds' acting chops--truly their faces are simple enough, I think, to seem changeable, even though they're always smiling.