Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Pie for Lunch

At The Emporium pie shop near my bnb, Red Hair Girl & Kelvin wanted puffy pie, but I was under instruction to get pecan, the State Pie of Texas.

The pecans are soaked in bourbon for 12 hours, then the alcohol is cooked off, so it is safe for small toys to eat.

I'm sitting outside because
1. It is very much not snowing, and
2. I'm hoping that the fresh air will lift some of the smokehouse smell from my clothes.


The pie has been found worthy of plate licking.

7 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I like! You’re pretty fearless to be doing this kind of photography in public settings. :)

Fresca said...

The toys INSIST on having their pictures taken, what can I do? :)

Fresca said...

P.S. MICHAEL: But you're right---it is a little socially awkward/scary:
I feel like a Crazy Cat Lady, Toy Version.
But it's worth it---I enjoy it so much---and a great project for when I'm traveling alone.

Anonymous said...

Fresca-you can always tell people you are writing a children's book and want to add realism to the story!!!

That pie looks delicious and wonder what the difference in taste is with the pecans soaked in bourbon.

My grandfather's property around McQueeney, TX had a pecan tree on it. Now when I have to pay for them......

Glad you got to see some of the bluebonnets. Imagine a field of them. Sometimes you would drive down the two lane highways and see cars stopped alongside the road where children, dogs, and engaged couples would have their photos taken in the middle of the bluebonnets.

Kirsten

Kirsten

Bink said...

Yum! Yum! yum!

gz said...

So thats the secret of pecan pie!

Fresca said...

Personally, I love the taste of bourbon, so... yeah.
I usually find pecan pie to unrelievedly sweet---it's nice to cut the sugar with something--I can imagine other flavors would be good too.