Wednesday, July 23, 2008

People are saying such smart, adorable things...

Is it because we have left Cancer and entered Leo that I am in a worshipful sort of mood? (Not my usual mood.)
(Leo energy being the charismatic sort that elicits worship, even grudging.)

Anyway, all of a sudden everyone seems extra fabulous and witty to me, so I am going to quote some of them.
(That last little video project left me wrung out of originality, anyway.)

Please don't feel left out if I haven't quoted you here--you are excellent too! It's just that I just now read these ones.

To start, Manfred wrote a pretty perfect description of America, in a post about Steely Dan, who he says were:

"my image of America, effortlessly cool and yet also dark and bitter, people who knew their way around but were still lost."

Then, Jen has been writing these fantastic updates about Uncle Tom's Cabin and reflecting on the not-so-smartness of romanticizing suffering. Today she quotes Harriet Beecher Stowe:

"Stowe notes wryly:
"Of course, in a novel, people's hearts break, and they die, and that is the end of it; and in a story this is very convenient.
"But in real life we do not die when all that makes life bright dies to us. There is a most busy and important round of eating, drinking, dressing, walking, visiting, buying, selling, talking, reading, and all that makes up what is commonly called living, yet to be gone though."

Momo posts (for me!) a youTube remix of William Shatner going "woo" as he drives his racecar at 160 mph that so captures this silly, pompous, wonderful man's "chi" (qi), I just don't know what to say, but reignites my desire to learn more filmmaking techniques (not that this is complex at all, but you know, mustn't slouch).

Then, Anna Francesca, my youTube correspondent, e-mails from Italy in reply to my asking for some more Star Trek phrases in Italian:

"Questi sono i viaggi dell'astronave Enterprise"
[These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise]

and tells me,
"Beam me up, Scotty" in is translated as "Mi porti su Scotty" to speak in third person, as a kind of deference, if they were in familiarity it would be "Portami su Scotty".

...and she promises to write more soon!

I leave for Las Vegas for the Star Trek convention in exactly two weeks (August 6), and I hope to have learned lots of Italian Star Trek by then, in case I meet any alluring Klingons or the like who only speak Italian. Not that one needs to speak to communicate with Klingons, I gather.
Anyway, a starship by any other name...

No comments: