Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Interessante Capitano!"

Ah, just what I always suspected: Spock is really Italian.
A vidder from Rome presents here all the times Spock says "Fascinating"--in Italian! And it sounds better, too. If you go to her site [click on the youTube icon on the vid] she lists all the Italian names of the episodes, which is kind of fun.


I've also been chatting a bit with an Italian vidder from Florence who put together "star trek e la presa vulcaniana di Spock", aka Spock's Vulcan nerve pinch (but the clips are in English).

3 comments:

momo said...

The whole way that dubbing changes the character is "molto interessante". Not to hear Nimoy's very particular voice is so bizarre. Now I will have to look for Star Trek in Spanish.

Anonymous said...

I thought Italian Kirk sounded the most like English speaking Kirk.

Fresca said...

I just thought these were a hoot--and I'd love to hear them in other languages too.

As you see in a later post, Anna Francesca gave me two translations for "Beam Me Up, Scotty," formal and familiar, which I thought raised such an interesting point--who speaks to whom in which form, and when.
Adds all sorts of possibilities for flavoring relationships (like when Spock calls Kirk "Jim.")