Saturday, April 27, 2024

Tiny Things, All the Time

NOTE: This morning I exported posts from my newish blog, Noodletoon, to here, my original blog, because I want to keep everything together.
Comments are off. Gmails are welcome at frescadp.

____________
"When we create something new, it takes tremendous energy."

Two months ago, I started working at a public high school as a Special Ed Assistant with autistic teenagers.

The sort of thing I do at work:

One of the students was sad and upset toward the end of the day yesterday. He had ripped his classwork paper into tiny pieces and was pacing outside the classroom in the hallway.

The teacher asked me to go and stay with the student. I went and asked the student if he’d like to go for a walk around the halls.
He did want to.

We passed the room where the copier is, and I got an idea.
I went in and I got several pieces of printer paper, and I asked him if he would like to rip up some more paper.

One by one, he ripped up five pieces of blank paper. We went back to class, and he was okay, calmer until school bus time.

Then he said, "I need your help again", and held out his arm, bent at the elbow, to link with mine. We walked arm in arm to his bus.

"I'm sad you're sad," I said. "Some days are sad days. I hope your weekend is better."

And I hope your weekend, blog reader, is okay too, or that you have some paper to rip up if it's not.