Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Sketch Diary/ Summer Plans?

I used to draw daily diaries when I worked in Memory Care with seniors... Sketching is good way to fill open time, while still paying attention.
A lot of the job--that one, and this new one with high schoolers--is standing by and paying attention. Active engagement, too, of course.

I. Sketch Diary

In art class yesterday, I cut a big piece of paper into strips, and folded the strips into accordions for my first sketch diary.

My day starts with waiting in the parking lot for a student to arrive on a school bus, so I can walk them to their destination. Streams of kids and staff arrive--off city buses, school buses, in cars, some drive themselves--and some bike or walk.

(I’d originally intended to walk to work, but since I always leave the house at the last minute, I bike.)


I've started to do squats and lunges while I wait---to rev up and get a bit of exercise.  
Lots of my sketches were incoherent, but here's a little glimpse of the day....


I'm going to try to keep this going.

II. Summer Plans?

I am too alone.
Now that I am no longer ENRAGED BY PICKLEBALL--
that is, now that I'm no longer watching civilization collapsing around me, and so on edge that I was unable to tolerate frivolity--
I've been reaching out to old friends, like KG. I’m finding that our everyday human foibles don't set me off.
That's been great.

I want, I need to reconnect with people.
(Six years at the thrift store did not create community--rather the opposite.)
Besides my new work, I have an unexpected chunk of open time coming up:
I was amazed to learn yesterday that teaching aides (like me) get unemployment pay for the ten weeks that school is closed in the summer.
The legislature only passed that last year--at the same time, I think, that it voted in free breakfast and lunch for ALL students (not staff), and free tuition at state colleges.

Supporting education?
SO CIVILIZED.
Coworkers say all this will get voted out when the legislature changes. Who knows...

I'd been planning on doing an extended project or some schooling this summer anyway, and now I'm extra-motivated to start planning something large.

Took a quick look around last night on Workaway (like WWOOF) and found Community Homestead, only 5-hours by bike (on a bike trail!) from here.
It's a volunteer organic farm--crops, dairy and chickens--bakery, where 40 people of all ages and abilities, including people with developmental challenges, live and work together--inspired by principles of Waldorf, et al.
And they host long-term volunteers, minimum stay, one month 


In some ways that sounds ideal; but I'd like to build community RIGHT HERE, where I live.
I don't know--I will look into that, and other opportunities.

P.S. Being short one-night's sleep was no big deal, I was happy to discover--and I caught up last night. Nice!

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if the school kids would be interested in doing sketch diaries?
    Being a WWOOFER? Sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I’ve tried with my art student and got no interest in sketching.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough..but seeds don't always sprout growth immediately

      Delete
    3. We’re in art clas every morning so we’ll keep drawing for sure!

      Delete
  2. Maybe collage diaries instead of sketching? Just have some old magazines, glue stick etc available and see if anyone picks it up?

    The farm looks lovely.
    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  3. be better than what i do-- wait until the break is upon me and then panic that i haven't planned anything!!! this year i have planned to go to a retreat in maine in late summer: although i usually want to sign up and then as the event gets closer i wonder why i did.
    collage is a great idea. sometimes i think people avoid drawing as they don't think they are good drawers. i avoid it as my art teachers always heaped praise on those who drew realistically.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That retreat sounds ideal, Kirsten!

      I’m learning that some neurological issues affect fine-motor control —and might also affect how a student feels about drawing?
      collage might be physically more satisfying for some…
      Will continue to explore and learn!

      Delete