Wednesday, February 28, 2024

To sleep, to dream...

Girlettes in my new school locker! ❤️❤️❤️

"I prioritize sleep", said a coworker who has so much going on, I'd commented that they must not get much sleep.
"I don't think well if I don't get enough sleep," they said.

I agreed wholeheartedly and told them I'd slept ten hours the night before, to process the overload of incoming new experiences.

I LOVE that some members of the younger generation consider it a colonizer/capitalist trick to emphasize #HardWork and #LackOfSleep as moral values.

ABOVE: Kehinde Wiley, The Death of Hyacinth (Ndey Buri Mboup), 2022, via Museum of Fine Art, Houston

The founder of the Nap Ministry movement, Tricia Hersey, for instance, says, Rest Is Resistance and wrote a book of that title. She says:

"We have been brainwashed by ... this violent culture that wants to see us working 24 hours a day, that... views our divine bodies as a machine.
We believe our bodies are portals.
They are sites of liberation, knowledge, and invention that are waiting to be reclaimed and awakened by the beautiful interruptions of brutal systems that sleep and dreaming provide."

And--wow!--this:
"Our dream space has been stolen, and we want it back. We will reclaim it via rest."
--NPR, All Things Considered, interview with Tricia Hersey*, 12/27/22

OhMygod, yes. A central childhood memory:
My mother's mother (born 1900, indirectly from a slave-holding family) standing at the bottom of the stairs at 7 a.m. every morning of our visits, clapping and calling out, "Rise and shine, sleepyheads!"
Even when were visiting her on our holiday vacation time.

I always hated and resented that, but also felt the weight of my Grandmother's view of my "failure".
She's the one who said of me, "I can't understand her--she has no ambition." She's been dead almost forty years, but her dread judgment that has stayed with me.
What a legacy...

I still feel the need to prove that she was wrong, too:
that I always have had "ambition" to move (ambulate) toward things I love.
To her, those things had no value unless they were recognized and rewarded––socially, if not monetarily--like her gardening (and it was amazing!) leading to her becoming Chair Woman of the Lady's Gardening Club.

Anyway--I was thinking about that because of my lovely coworker (the one who took extra time to show me around)--and because I again slept ten hours last night--
And woke up with a good idea!

I'd been fretting about how to help a student read Romeo & Juliet, and something came to me while I was sleeping.

Actually, maybe more, I was pondering how to help the teacher help the student.
There is an art to being an assistant that I need/want to learn:
How to mediate for the good of all?
How to practice "conflict transformation" (a term I just learned via Hersey)?

I ran my idea past my former coworker Abby, who has a Masters in Special Ed--Autism, and she thought it was a good one, and suggested some ways to phrase it effectively.
So helpful!

Sleep Spirituality


ABOVE: Photo by Charlie Watts from an ongoing photography project curated by Tricia Hersey. Photo and quote below from this article:
"Tricia Hersey, a testimony on liberation theology and rest as inheritance", by Tempestt Hazel.

Tricia Hershey comes out of the Black church. She says:
"The Nap Ministry ... came out of the fact that I’m a preacher’s kid who was raised in the Black church and has always seen the Black church as a place of liberation—I’m blessed in that way.

"Though a lot of people have seen the Black church as a place of oppression and abuse, for me it was a liberating place to see Black people take their own spirituality and relationship to God into their own hands and remix it through a lens that looks like liberation.

"When those [who were] teaching white Christianity were giving us their religion, we took it and remixed it into something for ourselves. I think it’s important to know that. A lot of people gloss over that.

"And while the Black church and Christianity, in general, have a lot to be critiqued, I think the Black church is unique in that it’s one of the only institutions outside of slavery that we’ve had autonomy around, that we’ve owned, and that is still here."

When (white) people condemn religion, they often are not hearing or acknowledging that religion plays roles in cultures and communities other than theirs (ours).
 
What I hear is condemnation of the modern Trump-style Christianity.
I share the concern! 

Have you see this:
"A former evangelical leader is sounding the alarm about the direction his religion is headed in. Christianity Today Editor: Evangelicals Call Jesus 'Liberal' and 'Weak'

"Moore told NPR [8/8/23]... that multiple pastors had told him they would quote the Sermon on the Mount, specifically the part that says to “turn the other cheek,” when preaching. Someone would come up after the service and ask, 'Where did you get those liberal talking points?'

“When we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we’re in a crisis."
When we condemn "religion", I think of something Marz told me:
that when she was a high school student in Japan (in the early 2000s), her fellow students didn't even know who Jesus was.

I love that reminder that when we speak as white, middle-class Americans of Christian heritage, what we consider "religion" isn't even recognized in much of the world--or accepted in the Americas.
What do we mean when we say "religion"?
Indigenous religions, for instance, are very different from the religion of European colonizers. 

Sleep Science

My body reminded me that when it's rested, it will let me know.
I went to bed at 6 p.m. last night, and woke up refreshed three hours later. I read for a couple hours, woke up again at 4:30 a.m. and thought--why not get up?
So I did.

I trust my sleep cycle will sort itself out. I know I'm lucky that way--a lot of people's sleep is all messed up. I wonder if that is a problem of the modern world, with our fake illumination...

_______________________

I've always processed ideas and emotions while asleep--and that's sound science.
From the NIH:
"The function of sleep within the realm of learning , memory , physical recovery , metabolism and immunity is well documented across species."

Hersey is also points out the CDC has named sleep deprivation a public health crisis:

"I talk a lot about my divinity degree, but I have a undergrad degree in public health and community health. So I know the beauty of looking at this message from the science of sleep.
. . . Three of the top diseases - high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes - can be linked back to sleep deprivation. "
The NIH says:
"Reduced sleep duration has been linked to 7 of the 15 leading causes of death in the U.S., including
cardiovascular [heart] disease, malignant neoplasm [cancer],
cerebrovascular disease [blood flow to brain],
accidents
, diabetes,
septicemia [blood poisoning by bacteria],
and hypertension [high blood pressure]...."


 

9 comments:

  1. Exciting to see the Girls at school IN A LOCKER!! Now, naturally, the orphans want to have a locker rather than the basket where they sleep.
    Sleep, yes! Mr. Man has never been a sleeper and scorned the rest of us for sleeping any longer than 4 hours! "Stuff to do!" He has all of those ailments of which you speak. I sleep- wake only when the sleeping is done, I have none of those ailments and am able to think more quickly than Mr. man. You are right- sleep is a sorter and a renewal of vitality.
    The black church is many things and seems most effectively
    and admirably for the people, church is for them- they are not for the church - unlike the church of England. The worshipers are held as separate from the holy trinity- the church is a ritualistic show. God and jesus are the bosses and demand unwavering belief and money. Old news there. Some of the parables are so ridiculous , yet the church demands BELIEF- or else, toasting marshmallows for eternity!
    LOVING the art here , Kehinde Wiley, WOW!
    I love your new job- you are such an asset, lucky them I say!! LOVE, X O LS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, LS! ❤️ Orphans could come visit!

      Delete
  2. I've been listening to a ton of interviews with people coming out of high control groups, including quasi-religious, and what strikes me in people's deconversion/untangling stories is how absolutely mutually unintelligible many religious terms are without being explicit with what they mean. Many people have described themselves as totally agnostics/atheists before sharing views of spirituality (?) that are almost verbatim what I learned god was as a child being raised orthodox Catholic.

    And yes to the conflation of anti-high-control-religious-cult with religion generally. Imo, being anti-religion is a dangerously narrow-minded view, given how high control groups (and practices) pop up absent any whiff of religion. What is the autonomy within (and to exit) the group? How conditional is the practice of care/love/affection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is exactly it: I am pro Checks and Balances!
      I am not a fan of High-Control Groups;
      I am not anti-religion—quite the contrary

      Delete
  3. Thank you for writing Fresca- as usual. I love your insights and completely agree on science of sleep.

    I think you said somewhere you are from Wisconsin? I also grew up there outside of Milwaukee- my mom’s side of the family has a long history there. Many of them were teachers, principals, environmental leaders and civic advocates. I believe some of their values have been passed down whether through genetic predisposition or proximity (nurture). My family also has their “ambition and success” advocates. My ambitions do not fall along those lines- though I feel lucky and glad to be ok financially.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Stephanie.
      Yes, my father’s family was in Milwaukee (all gone now 😢).

      Ambitious drive and direction, like the right amount of sleep, varies with the individual — I just didn’t want my grandmother to dictate either! She was pretty controlling/judgmental of things she didn’t understand (like me 😆).

      I too am grateful to be financially okay!!!!

      Delete
  4. rest is also a weapon. jason bourne. https://www.visualjournalstudio.com/blog/rest-is-a-weapon
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link, Kit—I love it! And from Jason Bourne of all sources 😆

      Delete