Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leap Day!

I'm leaping along in my new job, and I managed to stay up till 9 pm last night!
I was on the phone for a long time in the evening with my former coworker/volunteer who did puzzles and games. She said the new person I chose to take over Book's is doing well--yay. I called that right.

She told me about some drama after I'd left—unrelated to me – –and it made me so glad that I wasn’t there.
She also said that Manageress ranted at her about how angry I'd made her by not staying for a going-away party. Manageress had told me the same thing on my last day. Curious, because I haven’t heard a word from her since I left, or anyone except a couple volunteers.
Nor have I contacted them.
That's how it went at the thrift store--caring communication was rare.

Meanwhile at my new workplace, a couple other people besides me have birthdays next week, so on their weekly outing with the students, everybody’s going to walk down to a nearby ice cream shoppe. It’s during two periods when I have other classes, but they said, “We’ll sign you out—come with us!”

Now, I'm not romanticizing the place: I can already see little tension fractures there.
But I also feel I’m among my own, with teachers – people who care about education and were probably attracted to the job in the first place because it’s a caring service? 

I don’t know why I’m surprised I feel at home with these people – – my father was an educator, I worked in libraries and educational publishing, and even my thrift store job was all about WORDS – – it’s kind of a no-brainer, right?
Maybe it’s just that I’ve been away for so long? I forgot these people existed?

It’s such a relief to be with people who care about and practice communication skills. Literally teaching the skills: yesterday a class practiced how to start a conversation. 

I happened to have brought a girlette to show a student who had showed me their stuffed animal – – and spontaneously the stuffed animal and the doll started a conversation, which worked well. They talked about pizza!
I've stumbled onto a teaching method.

Kirsten had commented about the films of Romeo & Juliet, and in another class, we watched Act I of the 1968 Zeffirelli version, which I have never seen.
It's pretty good, but I felt bad for the young actors, knowing actors Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting are sueing for abuse.

Funny I'd worried about being away from books every day--besides reading Shakespeare in class, 
I can check things out of the school library.
A library! Of course there's a library. I'd forgotten there would be. It carries lots of YA books, but not only. There's the daily newspaper, for instance, that I could read on break... I've already chatted up the librarian, who gave me all sorts of useful tips and info.
And of course there are books all over the classrooms--and a teacher I met at lunch said there are extra copies I can borrow.

SHARING INFO with coworkers! omg. It's been a long time since that happened.
I have to say, though, there's a LOT OF LAYERS of bureaucracy, and it's kind of cumbersome. Coming from a place with NONE, I rather appreciate it.

I also appreciate that I get a moderate amount of exercise at work--I go up and down four flights of stairs, change classes every hour, get up and down during every class, and I even attend a gym class a couple times a week. We played running-around games, like Red Light, Green Light--it was fun.

AND... happy news, I'd said I like art, so now I go to a drawing class every day. (The way it works is, there are special ed classes, and also some sp-ed students are integrated into gen-ed classes, and aides go with them, if needed.)

Time to go to work!

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! you have the best job ever!!! i grew up with a father who was head of the electrical engineering department (talk about pressure in college!) so i love being around libraries and colleges. i'm always wanting to learn more.
    i was 15 when R&J came out and so vividly remember the theme song. for young people then i think it had a large impact as so many of us could relate to that "love"! unfortunately at that time younger actors didn't have the protections that tend/should be in place today. i would guess that "a time for us" was the theme for many junior/senior proms the next year!!
    and even seventeen magazine had a spread that fall of the fashions in the movie: https://blog.finnfemme.com/2012/11/romeo-and-juliet-leonard-whiting-olivia-hussey-romantic-fashion-1968/ this was published the month before the movie was released. and the interview with "romeo" in the same magazine. and the cosmetic companies had ads with olivia. very little of that occurs with movies today.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KIRSTEN: yes, I never saw the movie but I totally recognized a song in the first 30 minutes—it must have been on the radio when I was young.

      Delete
  2. You have done so well to get this job! It just suits

    ReplyDelete