Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Be Strong, Be Silly: Daryl & Carol and Jeeves & Wooster

I'm feeling a little jangled. I think I'd mentioned, I got some mildly abnormal blood-test results a couple weeks ago, and I'm adjusting my diet.
I cut out dairy (mostly); red meat, and alcohol.
All to the good! Not even that big of a deal--for instance, I'd already
mostly switched to oat milk a few months ago.

The doc says not to worry, and we'll test again in three months.
I'm not too worried--it's manageable--but the uncertainty leaves me feeling... uncertain. And changing what I eat always throws me, emotionally.
This comes on top of me deciding to pull my attention away from work. That leaves me with a lot of free time. 
Plus, we're finally getting normal winter weather--due to fall into the single digits this week. For my taste, too cold to bike.

It's all just... jangling.

This weekend, I turned for strengthening medicine to Daryl & Carol in The Walking Dead.
You know them? They're both enduring abuse at the start––
the zombie apocalypse isn't initially much worse.
They start out as reactive and beaten down (below), but
they grow into total bad-asses--and best friends.


I rewatched the first 13 episodes of TWD, which is all I'd ever seen or ever want to see.
The first season interested me--what do you do if you wake up in the hospital and the triffids have come?--but soon the show becomes too much of a soap-opera gore fest for me.

I'd gotten the DVDs from the library. The last disc was so scratched, it wouldn't play.
Feeling desperate, I found the episodes free online--in Spanish.
My Spanish is minimal. I turned on the subtitles (in Spanish), and since I'd watched the show ten years ago, I could follow. Also, the dialogue is not the point.

I was pleased I could pick up some words and phrases though.
Daryl is wounded, around episode 10?, while looking for Carol's missing daughter. Carol brings him dinner in bed and thanks him.
He says something about Rick being the leader of the group.

She replies, "Eres igual."
YOU ARE EQUAL.

I love that they see each other. I love, too, that the actor who plays Carol, Melissa McBride, is only four years younger than me. (She's 58 now.)


Daryl & Carol were helpful, and then for a completely different pair, I started reading Carry On, Jeeves, the first collection of Jeeves & Wooster stories.
So funny!
Hugh Laurie & Stephen Fry ^ are so good in the 1990s TV series, I like having them in my mind. But Bertie's internal dialogue is a hoot, and of course you lose that on film.
I was going to quote some of it, but it's all of a piece.

So, that's my plan: Be Strong, Be Silly.

(Ha, I forgot: on my old blog, Red Hair Girl once rescued Daryl from triffids!)
___________________

Oh--one more pair.
Starsky & Hutch was a major fandom of a couple friends, a few years ago. I was a fan of the fandom–––
Starsky & Hutch are sexy together– but not the show itself, which I disliked.
I posted S/H fan art and the like 60+ times––other people's, but, I'd forgotten, I made a lot too. Huh.
Like this one--a rough photomanip using flowers from a Picasso poster that was on a bedroom wall in the show.

R.i.p. David Soul.


2 comments:

  1. Taper off the foods you don't want to eat...if you go Cold Turkey you will crave what you are trying to cut out. All the best with that
    Fry and Laurie were good as Jeeves and Wooster. I am sure we had a radio serialisation a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, GZ! I’m lucky & grateful that I have a choice to make changes slowly.
    —Fresca

    ReplyDelete