Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Can I find 7171?

Inspired by Michael's sleuthing around in old NYC photos over on Orange Crate Art (like this one), I decided to see if I could track down the former owner of my old keychain-- an item donated this year to the religious articles ministry (Catholic) that uses the thrift store where I work as a mailing address.

Could I find who owner no. 7171 was? The guild that registered the number is still listed at this address, but on a quick search this morning, I could find nothing about it. Will look further...

Pro Deo Guild /5770 Mosholu Ave./Bronx, NY

 
The organizer of the ministry knows I love old Catholic holy medals (for themselves, not ironically), and she occasionally gives me some to look at, and to keep any I like. The intention of the ministry is to re-home these items--they come from around the country, often with notes along the lines of, "These were my mother's and I don't know what to do with them".
They are relics from another age.

I love that someone carried my keychain in their pocket and charged it with their faith, like we charge our tech. Though honestly, it's not worn very smooth, the way medals get when carried for a long time, so it might have mostly lived in a box...


Mosholu Ave. is in Riverdale--once largely Irish Catholic, and, according to Wikipedia, an affluent part of the Bronx. I'll search more later.

Meantime, here's the Mosholu branch of the New York Public Library-- a modernist building from 1955. I must look at a map to see if it's even in the same neighborhood--- but now I must leave for work.

"The Mosholu branch of the New York Public Library is located on 205th Street, adjacent to Whalen Park and the Perry Avenue exit of the D train.

"Like the neighborhood, the branch gets its name from the Native American word mosholu, which means 'smooth stones' or 'small stones' and once referred to a brook that ran through the Bronx.  The one-story, modernist building opened in 1955."

https://www.nypl.org/about/locations/mosholu 

Tips on searching? Other ideas? Email welcome at frescadp at the g.