Thursday, February 2, 2023

This is a twist.

A twist of lemon.

I can still enjoy a nice martini at the best restaurant in Iowa, but I have become ruined for many middle-class pleasures. Like a two-night get-away in Iowa.

Before I left, I told Mr Furniture I was going with my sister to Decorah, Iowa.

"Iowa?" he said.

"Well, I am white, Mr. Furniture."

He cocked his head at me. "You'll blend right in," he said.

And OMG, did I ever.
The area was settled by Norwegians, and the racial makeup of this small town (8,000 people) is 95% white. I saw one––count 'em, one––person who was not white. They were working at a coffee shop, and I'd bet they were a student at nearby Luther College, a private Lutheran college.

None of this would bother me––it's the history––except that Decorah has become a magnet for rich people from California. They relocate there to escape climate change and inflation. On every other corner is a yoga studio or an acupuncture clinic. In between are a yarn store, an indie bookshop with a Black History Month display, an organic food co-op, and the like. Lots of beautiful old houses have been turned into bed-and-breakfasts.
The local library has a TikTok account, the Marketing Manager told me when we stopped in. The local library has a Marketing Manager.


Local Iowans push back with a shop called Club 45 with window displays of books and banners about the glories of our 45th president. A billboard near town shows pictures of Biden and Harris labeled DUMB and DUMBER. (Actually, Biden gets the "dumber" caption.) The local Fareway grocery store, where many customers were wearing feed caps, carries "chicken lollipops" at the meat counter––individual drumsticks
(raw) wrapped in bacon, $1.99 lb.
I wish I'd bought one to cook in our airBnb.

Sister (below, left, in red glasses), who had kindly invited me on this trip and paid for our accommodations, loves the place and has been three times. "I want to learn rosemaling," she said (decorative Norwegian folk painting).

The social dissonance made my head spin. (My head, above, right ^) It was popping out thoughts such as, "This would make a good setting for a post-apocalyptic farce".
(Hm. Not a bad idea for a short story.)

On the way home, we fought about whether you tip the mechanic who checks your tire pressure for free, which sister had stopped and had done on the way out of town.
"You should have tipped that guy," I said.

Sister said, you don't tip for that service.

"It is always appropriate to at least offer to pay someone for their work," I said. (Did I quote scripture?* I did not! A win for my self-restraint. But also not, because I just knew it wouldn't carry any weight with her.)

We yelled at each other for a while, and then we agreed to disagree (i.e., to agree that the other one was wrong).
Two sisters diverged on an Iowan road.

The Turmeric Kombucha Moment

But really. I slipped over some line a ways back--I'd been approaching the event horizon for a long time, but working for five years in the armpit of the city (plus Covid, plus George Floyd),
I became unfit, unable, to reenter the middle-class I came from.
I mean, I can pass––I can order a martini with a twist.
And--crucially--I am still automatically granted the benefits of my class.
But my head won't fit. It's
like a champagne cork: once it's expanded, it's not going back in the bottle.
It's the weirdest feeling, becoming aware of that.

Ass't Man (white, college educated, LP record-collecting nerd) and I talk about it. His jolt came when he went to the wedding of a college friend last summer and felt socially woozy when people were complaining that the caterers had not supplied enough turmeric kombucha. "I have a harder and harder time spending time with my old friends," he says.

For me the challenge is thereafter not to slip into disgust or dismay. People are people. I don't want to get all judgy judgy--though I do, and that is a temptation because feeling superior delivers more dopamine per gram than chocolate. But it's a lie, even if it makes you feel better.

The trick, in spiritual terms, is to see people psychedelically--to love (not like) them all. . . And that is SOME trick, at which I am currently failing.
I want to be one of those people who can meet anyone, anywhere. Ha! I'm so not there.

Note to self:
In the meantime, don't vacation in Decorah. (Also, look for work-arounds, like, carry cash, and tip the mechanic yourself.)


Tip: Don't fool yourself.

_________________

*“The worker is worthy of his wages [deserves fair compensation].”  ––1 Timothy 5:18

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

"You'll fit right in." Hahahahahaha!

Yeah. I lost my ability to perform in public amongst the middle-uppers/uppers a long time ago. I don't know what to call them. I would lose my SHIT if someone complained about there not being enough turmeric kombucha. I would probably say, "Well then, drink a fucking Budweiser."
Your champagne cork metaphor is completely perfect.
You and your sister sure are darlings.

Fresca said...

MS MOON: Mr Furniture is the best social commentator!
It's a weird position we find ourselves in--I added a sentence to this post that is really important--we may not be able to perform, but we are still automatically granted the privileges of our social class.

I mean, even if we disdained it, we'd still be given a free kombucha (tire check).

P.S. And I too would say/think, drink a Bud... but that's NOT who I want to be.
And the Bud drinkers posted that Harris/Biden Dumb & Dumber sign, so it's not like they're better anyway...

*BIG SIGH*

Ms. Moon said...

You are exactly right- whether we feel comfortable or not in certain settings, we are immediately deemed "worthy" to be there. However, I have more than once opened my mouth and allowed words to come out that sort of negated that. But I never, ever, doubt my privilege due to skin color and education, etc.
You are a far better human than I am. I do not even try to love everyone. I can, on the other hand, try to see the best in people and that is usually doable.

Anonymous said...

Fresca here. No, no—not a better person! Ha!
YOU are the one, Ms Moon, who talks about how we are ALL ONE and how ridiculous boundaries are, so I think that Awareness of yours is quite similar to what I mean when I say “love one another”, and neither of us are quite where we’d want to be perhaps with always staying in that Awareness?
“Love” is not “liking “ people or even seeing their best, just granting them (within myself) a baseline humanity and wishing for EVERYONE to get a Free Drink of Their Choice at the Bar of Life😂
—Fresca

Fresca said...

PS Whoops! I made an assumption (hate that!) MS MOON—
you never said you were not “in Awareness “ of how ALL IS ONE as much as you’d like to be.
Or, not that I’ve read (I’ve only read a tiny fraction of your blog).
Sorry!

gz said...

I like the champagne cork analogy.
I don't know where I fit in.

Michael Leddy said...

Damn those careless caterers!

It’s like Frasier with health food.

Linda Sue said...

Not sure why anyone would want to go to - that place. There is a town north of here , a few miles up the road, that sounds very like Decorah. I avoid it, it is too damned creepy.
No way am i ever going to love everyone. Not even if I did see the one- ness of us all some folks are vile and I just want to punch them in the face.
As for tipping- I dunno- depends, the guy is getting paid by the station owners to do his job. Do you get tips?The only tip I get around here is "wash the forks separately".

Fresca said...

GZ: You belong here! :)

MICHAEL: Those caterers! What were they thinking, undersupplying turmeric water?!

LINDA SUE: "Wash the forks separately"?!? I'd never heard that--all my life I've been doing it wrong, washing utensils in any old order!